You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.
PLEASE READ - Webmaster Support Forum
This forum will be retired in the near future. Please direct all queries to our dedicated GitHub support page https://github.com/vatsimnetwork/developer-info/discussions 
Here you can find documentation on our services and we are continuing to migrate pertinent information into the Wiki pages https://github.com/vatsimnetwork/developer-info/wiki

SSO HMAC-SHA1 authentication method assistance

Zachary Yarid 1284793

Zachary Yarid 1284793
Posted
Posted

Good evening!

Does anyone have any guidance on how to use the HMAC-SHA1 authentication mode? Unfortunately, the server that we are on now does not let us have command line access so we can't generate our public RSA key to upload on the SSO portal page.

Thanks!

Zach Yarid

vZTL Webmaster

Kieran Hardern
Posted
Posted

Everything's pretty well docomeented in this forum (or the oauth protocol if you fancy a long read). Do you have a specific issue?

As a side-note, when generating an RSA key it isn't tied to a single server. You can generate a keypair anywhere and transfer it.

Zachary Yarid 1284793
Posted
Posted

Thank you for your reply Kieran.

I actually used my laptop to generate the RSA key pairs, then copied and pasted them into the appropriate locations in the demo code that you have made available to us. So RSA it is!

Now the issue I am having is an IP address issue. I have added the address that our server is using to the list on the VATSIM SSO site but I am still getting this error message: "Error message: IP not approved for this consumer." I've run into a similar situation on my personal server where my hosting company tells me my server is using one IP address but the API request was being bounced around through a different IP address. I have a feeling that this is the case with the ARTCC's hosting company. I have an email out with someone who can answer this. I'm hoping to hear back from him later tonight.

Is this an issue that you have heard of a few times? Or am I missing something obvious?

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
Thank you for your reply Kieran.

I actually used my laptop to generate the RSA key pairs, then copied and pasted them into the appropriate locations in the demo code that you have made available to us. So RSA it is!

Now the issue I am having is an IP address issue. I have added the address that our server is using to the list on the VATSIM SSO site but I am still getting this error message: "Error message: IP not approved for this consumer." I've run into a similar situation on my personal server where my hosting company tells me my server is using one IP address but the API request was being bounced around through a different IP address. I have a feeling that this is the case with the ARTCC's hosting company. I have an email out with someone who can answer this. I'm hoping to hear back from him later tonight.

Is this an issue that you have heard of a few times? Or am I missing something obvious?

If you are using PHP and Curl, you can bind the outgoing connections to a specific ip address.

Zachary Yarid 1284793
Posted
Posted

That did the trick, Daniel.

Thanks for the input!