You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Dwell Highlight Related Issue on Data-Blocks

Andrew Doubleday

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

Fantastic program, addicted... 100%. Fully reminds me of my days training on the system in school. Love the realism it provides.

One things I've noticed, and this is very possibly me making some sort of mistake, is that LDB's will occasionally display highlighted brighter than normal (this sometime even occurs with FDBs) as if the dwell function is permanently enabled on the aircraft for some reason. Can't seem to figure out how to disable that or what might be causing it. Any suggestions appreciated.

Regards,

AJ

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

This is a feature. To my knowledge, you can toggle it by dragging the callsign to the right (if that makes sense).

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

Yep, clicking on the datablock appears to enable and disable dwell...

Thanks,

AJ

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted
Yep, clicking on the datablock appears to enable and disable dwell...

Thanks,

AJ

Yeah, that's called dwell lock. Most places use that to either indicate comms status, or to highlight aircraft for pilot requests. ZMP has required the use of dwell lock to indicate aircraft comm status (highlight on check-in, un-dwell on frequency change) since NWA188 happened.

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

Good to know, I'll start doing that as well.

William Lewis
Posted
Posted

Other comm status indicators i see used:

/2 not hear yet, /1 here, /0 gone

/0 not on freq, /1 on freq

dwell locked not hear yet, undwelled here, /0 gone

8/6/2/4 data block directions here, 7/9/3/1 not here

I personally use /2 - /1 - /0 for comm status and Highlight to indicate something special (ei: lands in sector, starts descent in sector, Needs traffic call, did not read back instruction, NORDO, etc.).

The above pertains to United States

37.png

• 3 weeks later...
Benton Wilmes
Posted
Posted

On the real system (can't remember if this was modeled or not), LDBs will "dwell" for any aircraft in your code list. That would be anyone in your airspace, any code you put in manually (such as all the VFR and military codes we have to monitor) or a flight coming into your airspace.

Not sure if that's what you were seeing or what...

There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Benton Wilmes