You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New VATUSA Training System Announced

Don Desfosse

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

[Cross-posted from http://www.vatusa.net/forums/index.php?topic=5261]

As many of you remember, one of the goals that I announced when I took over this role a few years ago was to relaunch the VATUSA Academy, enabling a common core of training through the S2 rating for new controllers prior to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignment to an ARTCC, followed by facility-specific training as necessary. Lather, rinse and repeat when the student was ready to pursue the S3 and then the C1 ratings. Unfortunately, though, after nearly 3 years of trying to get enough support to get the Academy to a launch point, I announced in December that there was not enough traction in terms of people interested in / able to work the Academy concept, and the project was essentially dead.

Not one to give up, though, I am excited to announce that VATUSA is entering into a training partnership with our good friends to the North, VATCAN. VATCAN has, for years, had an Academy-like structure, the VATCAN NTU, or National Training Unit. Effective 01 May 2016, all new students who enroll with VATUSA will take the VATUSA Basic ATC quiz as before, and then upon p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing, be transferred to the Winnipeg FIR in VATCAN and enrolled in the NTU. The NTU course consists of self-study modules which one can accomplish at their own pace. There, students will complete the Clearance Delivery and Ground courses. Upon completion of these courses and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated written exam, students will transfer back to VATUSA, receive a quick, online, computer-based differences training module, and upon p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing, then be allowed to select an ARTCC and be [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned an Instructor/Mentor at the ARTCC. After a brief training validation with the Instructor/Mentor and a successful ‘over the shoulder’ session, students will graduate from the NTU with an S2 (Tower) rating.

The benefit here is a much more streamlined, standardized way to get to the S2 rating and get online and control, eh? Another benefit is that students will be able to select whether they desire their training modules to be delivered in English or French! We are excited to try this out for a 6 month period, iron out any kinks, and then in December, [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming the Trump Wall either isn't applicable to VATSIM, or isn't too high to climb, replicate the agreement with VATMEX. That will help with any potential capacity issues, and add Spanish to the list of training languages available.

In appreciation for VATCAN's willingness and ability to train all of VATUSA's controllers on top of their own, VATCAN Director Matt Cianfarani and I have agreed to secede the Anchorage ARTCC to VATCAN's control, because let's face it, Alaska just sorta hangs off the side of Canadia anyway.... And since Alaska hangs off the side of Winnipeg, some of the NTU training will be done there, so it kinda stays in the family anyway. As part of the agreement, though, VATUSA will pick up the Moncton FIR, as it just kinda hangs off the side of Boston anyway. This will help dramatically improve the interface between Boston, New York Oceanic and Moncton during major events like Cross the Pond. These airspace changes will also take effect May 1, after we've all had an opportunity to work out the details.

This announcement has now also been made public in VATCAN (http://forum.vatcan.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2961), so don't be surprised if you see some more Canadians (and moose and bears, eh?) sniffing around ZAN in the next several days/weeks looking to get acclimated to their new territory!

I'm sure, just like every significant change, there will be questions. For those of you who, in general, get it, please hold off until tonight or tomorrow to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist the others after we've had a good chance to see all the comments, concerns and questions, consolidate them into one organized list, confer with VATCAN, and find a way to best answer them all in the most efficient manner. For those who don't really get it, by all means, post your questions, comments, and concerns, and after the dust settles a little today (and after I get home from work), we will do our best to address them all. One request, though, please post your comments and questions at http://www.vatusa.net/forums/index.php?topic=5261 ; I'd like to keep them all in one place, so nothing gets accidentally missed.

Just like every change, this one will take some getting used to, patience and cooperation. We can and will make it work for the betterment of the Division. Of course, my staff and I will do absolutely everything we can to provide the right advice and guidance to all to make it work for everyone. As we all know, the only constant in life is change. So let's embrace this new change as an opportunity to speed the time to network for our controllers, standardize training, and ensure high-quality students!

Don Desfosse

Director, VATUSA

"King of the Kingdom!"

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

I, for one, welcome our new maple syrup loving overlords.

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Really looking forward to the progress that will be made in our Division in conjunction with our neighbors.

Thank you Don and the rest of Canada-land for helping make VATNA a more progressive, efficient, and successful division!

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

image.jpg?w=400&c=1

On second thought, I know that Windsor, Ontario is actually located under ZOB. And since just like Windsor, Toronto is located in Ontario, VATCAN should just relinquish the Toronto FIR to VATUSA aswell.

New York ARTCC

Removed
Posted
Posted

A great thanks to VATCAN for the close cooperation with VATUSA on this project.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

Canadia

• Board of Governors
Matthew Cianfarani
Posted
Posted

Copying this from the VATUSA Forums:

We have already begun adding the CZAN areas to our website & Staff rosters, which should be visible on vatcan.org .

Those controllers looking for a jump start on our systems, can watch the Canscope tutorials located here:

and

Matthew Cianfarani
Vice President , Technology 
VATSIM Board of Governors

Joshua Black
Posted
Posted

I applaud Don for his strong effort in trying to make his post as Canadian as possible. I'm sure your fluency in the Canadian language will improve with this partnership, eh?

I was a little skeptical reading the post at first considering the day it was posted. But all in all, I'm pleased to hear the partnership that is taking place here. I was born in Winnipeg, and learned how to" ATC" in Winnipeg on VATSIM. I think this is a great way of freeing up more instructors here in VATUSA, and maybe giving VATCAN a bit more presence on the network.

Good work, gentlemen.

Joshua Black

Fred Michaels 1137645
Posted
Posted

Don, I'm still waiting on that damn raise...especially now that you have outsourced things.

-Fred

Deputy Air Traffic Manager

Miami vARTCC - United States Division (I1)

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted (edited)

Already started working on my Canadian English and alphabet...

Edited by Guest

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

OK, it looks like most of you got it.... But a couple of you maybe didn't, and may still be actively believing that we're actively gonna do some trainin' with our friends to the North... and there may be a couple in the "undecided" camp, so I'll let you all off the hook....

Happy April Fool's Day!!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

I was going to point out that if the prices of things in Canada seem higher than the US, its because they have to buy extra vowels.

I thought the facility trading was exceptionally good cross fertilization.

Kyle Ramsey