You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Trying to listen to ATC

Jonathan Rand 1353913

Jonathan Rand 1353913
Posted
Posted

Just starting out with XSquawkbox for VATsim on X-Plane. The first thing I'd like to be able to do is just sit and listen to the ATC radio chatter on XSquawkbox. I have very poor eyesight so I tend to need more help then the average person. I DID learn to fly the small Cessna and the Avanti Alterna back in X-Plane 9, so I'm thinking I'll be able to learn the Challenger 300 as well. But it's gonna take some doing. And it's been a while since I flew anything so I'll need to re-learn a lot of stuff.

Right now I'm having trouble finding out which radio I'm supposed to use to listen to the ATC. I can't seem to find a clear "step by step" tutorial on how to get the sound of the ATC in my cockpit. I managed to be able to tune the COM 1 radio SOMETIMES! But I'm thinking that's not the correct radio anyway! I couldn't find key commands for this stuff so I have to continually move the Windows magnifier up and down so I can first turn a knob, then look at the numbers on the MFD. Yuck!

But I'll do this or die trying!!!

Can anyone either walk me through this slowly and in detail or point me toward the best tutorials? I'm an Asperger, (high functioning autistic), so my mind works like a computer. Anything "implied," I may miss.

Thanx...

Mathew Sutcliffe
Posted
Posted

COM1 is the correct radio. Just a tip: XSquawkBox has a keyboard shortcut for tuning the radio, if you bring up the XSquawkBox text input box and type two forward-slashes followed by the frequency you want to tune and press enter, then it will tune to that frequency. For example, //119.1 to tune to frequency 119.1 MHz. There's a PDF manual in the Docs subfolder of the XSquawkBox folder, which mentions this on page 10. There's also the same manual in HTML format in the same folder.

swift - Developer

Jonathan Rand 1353913
Posted
Posted

Thanks totally! This robot finds your post very pleasing to his sensors! I'm gonna look right now. This would make life much easier!

Jonathan Rand 1353913
Posted
Posted

OK I was able to tune the COM 1 radio by using that text box. I don't really know which reading is the standby one and which is the active. The // changed the top reading, (larger and green), while I had to manually tune the bottom reading, (smaller and white) so I guess the top one is the active? I typed someones's frequency, and text on the screen said I was connected to " WAIT A MINUTE!!!!! I'm hearing it!!!!! YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY! I'll just listen until I'm familiar with what's usually being said.

Next step, trying to get XSQUAWKBOX to be accurate in showing other planes. I think I have to get more model sets but I donno how to do it... and I don't even know if it really can be done. (No sound for the other planes, hah!)

Duncan White
Posted
Posted

Have you read the manual ?

...\X-Plane 10\Resources\plugins\XSquawkBox\Docs\XSquawkBox Manual.pdf

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted
There's a PDF manual in the Docs subfolder of the XSquawkBox folder, which mentions this on page 10. There's also the same manual in HTML format in the same folder.

The HTML manual is still there? I thought I threw that out...

The PDF manual will be the most up to date - it is the manual I'm maintaining concurrently with the updated releases as I put them together.

XSquawkBox - Developer/Maintainer

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.