You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSX Or Sqwk Box 4.0 Crashes 3 Times Per Flight

Aharon Dayan

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

For first time in many years of Vatsim flying, my FSX in conjunction with Sqwarkbox 4.0 crashes 3 times every flight. Anybody knows why?? I am using FSX Deluxe with SP1 and SP2 in Windows 7 Professional Operating System.

Here is the typical crash error message:

Problem Event Name: AppHangB1

Application Name: fsx.exe

Application Version: 10.0.61472.0

Application Timestamp: 475e17d3

Hang Signature: f7fc

Hang Type: 0

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Hang Signature 1: f7fc88831a14516a1a53b7dc654b9c89

Additional Hang Signature 2: a500

Additional Hang Signature 3: a500f613cd82315a1a89ca2a82b07dda

Additional Hang Signature 4: f7fc

Additional Hang Signature 5: f7fc88831a14516a1a53b7dc654b9c89

Additional Hang Signature 6: a500

Additional Hang Signature 7: a500f613cd82315a1a89ca2a82b07dda

The weird thing is that after 3 freezes or crashes by FSX or Sqwkbox 4.0 in early stage of every flight, then each flight went on as if nothing happened.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

just about anything can cause an apphang. unfortunately your error report isnt very specifc or missing info

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Ok thanks Ernesto

CQwL8Nm.png

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Ernesto,

By the way, I did not have crashes 3 times per flight before for many years of Vatsim flying. It happened since 2 weeks ago and I do not know why. The only difference between before 2 weeks ago and after 2 weeks ago was my installation of FlyTampa Montreal and FlyTampa Tampa Rebooted sceneries.

So I am uninstalling those 2 sceneries to see if they are really culprit for Vatsim freeze and crash problems.

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Shalom, Aharon! One thing to try, if after you uninstall you still have the crashes, is to do a system restore to a point BEFORE you added those sceneries and try again, in case there were system changes made that were not undone during the uninstall process.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Shalom Don,

Thanks for great and brilliant suggestion that I have not thought of by myself! But unfortunately I am too scared to use system restore out of fear that I would screw up my precious laptop. LOL

What is strange now is that I conducted tonight's flight from MTPP to TFFF and despite removal of two FlyTampa sceneries, the flight had proved that the two sceneries were not culprit as the flight suffered from four FSX/Sqwkbox 4.0 freezes and crashes during early stage of the flight.

I am guessing that FSX and Sqwkbox 4.0 after many years of peaceful coexistence and cooperation had decided to divorce each other and no longer works with each other!!

So I got fed up and decided to use Sqwkbox 4.0 as outside program instead of as module program in middle of flight and the rest went fine.

Let's see if I can do next flight tomorrow or 2 days later to see if using Sqwkbox 4.0 as outside external program instead of inside external module program will work without freeze and crash.

What baffles me is that after so many years of operating FSX and Sqwkbox 4.0 together without problems, those two software no longer work with each other and is now completely divorced. Why?????

I am really bummed and do not want to give up Vatsim flying!!! I do not mind using Sqwkbox 4.0 as outside external program but I always participate in Vatsim events and that poses me problem as I have to juggle between two software on different windows instead of internal module window to handle text communication with controllers during very busy event traffic!!!

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted
So I got fed up and decided to use Sqwkbox 4.0 as outside program instead of as module program in middle of flight and the rest went fine.

you neglected to make this key fact known this wouldve saved you lots of time. squawkbox cannot be run inside of FSX as a module, this has been a known error for years

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Ernesto is right -- the fact that it worked for you for so long speaks only to the amount of luck you've had. The rest of us have had to use SB as an external program for years, knowing about that bug. In terms of using it as an external program, you will get used to it after about 3-5 flights.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Well Ernesto and Don,

That does not explain why Sqwkbox 4.0 and FSX suddenly divorced each other after years of wonderful marriage while using Sqwkbox 4.0 as internal module like Don said in his own words "the fact that it worked for you for so long speaks only to the amount of luck you've had".

Let's see if using Sqwkbox 4.0 as external program will solve the mysterious freeze and crash of FSX.

I do not think it has to do with great luck. It has to do with my great care and my superb maintenance of my laptop and FSX

Now I have to figure out what was the ground and cause for divorce between FSX and Sqwkbox 4.0

I am going to test it tonight or tomorrow night.

Quick question: Will using FSX CD disc's automatic repair feature screw up Sqwkbox 4.0 and all other payware airport sceneries I have in my FSX? I wonder if using FSX CD disc's repair feature would solve the freeze and crash problem?

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted
Now I have to figure out what was the ground and cause for divorce between FSX and Sqwkbox 4.0

you dont have to, its already been docomeented, again, years ago. the Squawkbox developers were never ever to fix that bug before the client was abandoned.

you've been lucky all these years. plenty of folks before you have ran into similar issues, it worked for a time, but then no more. just luck

search the squawkbox forum and youll find the info for yourself

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Still at a loss why you dont want to use vPilot.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted
Still at a loss why you dont want to use vPilot.

Shalom Norman,

Good to hear from you!!!

I am still working on installing Vpilot but I need Sqwkbox 4.0 as back up in case my FSX does not like Vpilot and I do not want to miss any exciting Vatsim event. In other words, I need Sqwkbox 4.0 as insurance policy if my FSX does not like Vpilot.

Another reason for wanting to get Sqwkbox 4.0 back to working operation is that I do not want to burden Vatsim controllers by using new unfamiliar Vpilot for exciting Vatsim events that I do not want to miss. When I finish installing Vpilot, I need to spend few weeks practicing Vpilot with many flights before using Vpilot in exciting super endurance Vatsim events full of overcrowded busy skies filled with heavy traffic of many planes at one minute separation I do not want to use Vpilot for Vatsim events until I am pro and extremely familiar with Vpilot and its functions.

I am sure you would appreciate my careful thinking and reasoning for sake of consideration for overworked and too busy Vatsim controllers.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

really isnt much of anything to learn with vpilot. it was designed to be kept as simple as possible. its actually even easier then squawkbox (as easy as that was, imagine that)

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

And since Squawkbox isn't working currently (from what I'm understanding), you can't really fly until that's fixed.

Why not take the leap and setup vPilot... fixing Squawkbox when that's all done?

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Shalom and greetings all my pals!!!

After trying to revive my memory what add-on softwares I had added to FSX past 2 weeks, I traced the cause of freezes or crashes to one add-on software and I fixed the problem

Turned out that some custom made AI package by some VA was the cause of the divorce between FSX and Sqwkbox 4.0. So I deleted the AI package from FSX and everything now went back to normal. FSX and Sqwkbox 4.0 had gotten remarried and have now performing together very well even in module!!!

Just finished the successful flight from CYYZ to CYMX.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

• 1 month later...
Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

After flying 30 flights on vatsim using sqwkbox 4.0 without problem, now my FSX is back to same problem as seen below.

Problem Event Name: AppHangB1

Application Name: fsx.exe

Application Version: 10.0.61472.0

Application Timestamp: 475e17d3

Hang Signature: f7fc

Hang Type: 0

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Hang Signature 1: f7fc88831a14516a1a53b7dc654b9c89

Additional Hang Signature 2: a500

Additional Hang Signature 3: a500f613cd82315a1a89ca2a82b07dda

Additional Hang Signature 4: f7fc

Additional Hang Signature 5: f7fc88831a14516a1a53b7dc654b9c89

Additional Hang Signature 6: a500

Additional Hang Signature 7: a500f613cd82315a1a89ca2a82b07dda

I did NOT add any software or anything to it. THE WEIRD PART is that when I test FSX SP1 and SP2 WITHOUT WITHOUT using Vatsim, it crashes few minutes after taking off.

Do not know why!!!

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

The interesting thing is that before last night, my FSX always averages 12% C.P.U and between 300,000k and 500,000k in memory private setting. Since last night, FSX averages 26% C.P.U. and 1,050,000k in memory private setting. Wondering why???

CQwL8Nm.png

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

And the problem is the stupid system restore of Windows 7 Professional does not give me choice to pick specific date to go back before. I want to use system restore to go back to last Thursday which was the last day for problem free FSX flying!!!!

CQwL8Nm.png

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Aharon,

I am completely baffled why you are insist on still trying to use SB4 - especially the module version - with FSX when vPilot should work trouble free for you.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Norman,

I said in my previous post that the problem happens without without use of Vatsim during my testing this morning meaning it is not vatsim or sqwkbox 4.0 that is culprit.

Also, vatsim and sqwkbox 4.0 ran SMOOTHLY for past 30 flights until last night.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Okay okay latest news I deleted logbook files from FSX, used FSX's CDs' automatic repair to see if they can be fixed, and then I deleted FSX.cfg while saving my FSX settings which resulted into FSX creating new fsx.cfg. Then I put back my own settings into FSX. I managed to a successful completed testing flight on FSX using Vatsim. The C.P.U. has returned to normal range of 15 percent BUT WHAT TROUBLES ME is that it averages too high 1,250,000k in memory private setting compared to my FSX's normal average between 300,000k and 500,000k in memory private setting before the problem started. Wondering why??? Anybody can help me figure out how to get back to normal average of memory private setting???

bm2_2_zpsg2wbmvta.jpg

CQwL8Nm.png

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Anybody can help me figure out how to get back to normal average of memory private setting???

This would be simpler if you weren't attempting to have different conversations on at least three different forums.

If you want to get back to where you were before, you need to change things back to exactly the way they were before. FSX memory consumption is highly variable based on the aircraft and the scenery in use, plus the settings for LOD_RADIUS, AI traffic, cloud draw and others.

As an example, starting the default Cessna at (mostly default) KSEA gives me a private working set of 1,205,540K, and a total commit size of 1,380,796K. Going to FSDT KJFK with the PMDG 747 gives me a private working set of 2,547,576K and a total commit size of 2,760,164K.

If you want a consistent, stable simulator you need to leave it alone. There's a reason why aerospace is so conservative with hardware and software changes in the real world. If you can't resist the desire to tinker, you'll need to devote a lot of space to system restores so that you can have at least a dozen of them, and then be religious about making restore points around the time you make changes.

Right now, based on the two situations in this thread, you have a change management problem, not a simulator problem. Once you solve the first the second will likely be trivial to resolve.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted
If you want to get back to where you were before, you need to change things back to exactly the way they were before. If you want a consistent, stable simulator you need to leave it alone.

One problem: I did not touch FSX and did not change anything in FSX. The problem just happened last Saturday.

And yes I want to go back to exactly the way FSX was. Unfortunately Windows 7 Pro's system restore would not let me pick the date I want. It offers the dates they want which is totally useless to me as I want 5/12/16 and they offer 5/14/16.

CQwL8Nm.png

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
One problem: I did not touch FSX and did not change anything in FSX. The problem just happened last Saturday.

Again, something changed when it stopped working, and something changed when it did. Computers and their software are highly deterministic.

Unfortunately Windows 7 Pro's system restore would not let me pick the date I want. It offers the dates they want which is totally useless to me as I want 5/12/16 and they offer 5/14/16.

Then you likely haven't configured system restore to use enough disk space. I have four restore points available to me. How many do you have?

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.