You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Question About Voice Server Channel Changes

Rob Nabieszko

Rob Nabieszko
Posted
Posted

Hey folks.

This question is more about network architecture (voice servers) than EuroScope, but didn't know where else to ask it...

Does anyone know, if a controller switches their primary voice channel after they connect to the network, will the pilots follow them to the new channel. Does the change occur immediately, or is it likely that some pilots may take a few minutes to migrate to the new channel?

(If this is too far into the proprietary network architecture, please just let me know.)

Thanks,

Rob

Rob Nabieszko | VATCAN3

Director of Training, VATCAN

[email protected]

18.png

Pierre Ferran
Posted
Posted

As far as I know, changing your primary voice channel will not automatically forward all pilots to the new one, so if do that while logged in, you'll essentially lose all contacts with the pilots, who will have to re-tune into your frequency to join the new channel.

Rob Nabieszko
Posted
Posted

That's what I suspected, but I was unsure.

I guess a pilot only receives info about the voice channel to use when they initially connect to a frequency? It's not continually monitored/updated? (If everyone is logging in correctly, monitoring for changes in the voice channel should be unnecessary I suppose.)

Thanks.

Rob

Rob Nabieszko | VATCAN3

Director of Training, VATCAN

[email protected]

18.png

Jonas Kuster
Posted
Posted

It's mainly a question of the pilot client. The controller provides always in the ATIS line 1 the information about his voice channel (if voice is turned on) and it changes immediately when he changes the voice server. The question is really how often the pilot clients check this information.

In my experience, communication problems from single pilots who cannot connect to a voice channel (especially after a short disconnect of the controller) can often be solved by the controller itself. Just deactivate the voice transmission (uncheck the voice boxes in the voice communication dialog), wait some seconds and activate it again. Because your ATIS line 1 changes, the controller information is broadcasted again on the network and most clients will then try to connect to the voice channel now available (client can detect when a controller adds voice communication and try to join the voice channel). Doing those steps, I was already able to solve a number of communcation issues quite quickly. Hope that helps!

Jonas Kuster
Network Supervisor
Leader Operation vACC Switzerland | vacc.ch @vaccswitzerland
GNG Support Team | gng.aero-nav.com
ES Plugin Developer | CCAMS