You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Desperately trying to get AVC TUNER working again

Michael C. Heyer 811019

Michael C. Heyer 811019
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

any time I try to use the AVC Tuner I get a window popping up telling me:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\PROGRAMME\AVCTUNER\AVC TUNER.EXE

abnormal program termination

OK

For certain - mostly financial - reasons I'm not able to run one of these new pilot clients but have to stick to SB 2.3 Beta, so any help would be highly appreciated!

Regards,

Michael C. Heyer

Senior ATP Captain

Scandinavian Virtual Airlines

1110.png

Dan Maclam 916329
Posted
Posted
Hi all,

any time I try to use the AVC Tuner I get a window popping up telling me:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\PROGRAMME\AVCTUNER\AVC TUNER.EXE

abnormal program termination

OK

For certain - mostly financial - reasons I'm not able to run one of these new pilot clients but have to stick to SB 2.3 Beta, so any help would be highly appreciated!

Correct me if I am wrong, SB3 and FSINN are free. Unless your computer is that old you should be able to run fs2002 or fs2004 with one of the new clients.

Daniel Maclam

Michael C. Heyer 811019
Posted
Posted
Correct me if I am wrong, SB3 and FSINN are free. Unless your computer is that old you should be able to run fs2002 or fs2004 with one of the new clients.

I said mostly not entirely financial. So, when I tell you that I'm not able to run one of these new pilot clients it simply means that I'm really not able to run neither one of the many FSInns nor SB3.

Or in other words: I'm not looking for someone telling me that there are new clients available; I already knew that. I'm only looking for someone to help me to get the AVC Tuner running again. But thanks anyway.

Regards,

Michael C. Heyer

Senior ATP Captain

1110.png

Adam Walker
Posted
Posted

i really dont think having a go at the guy for pointing that out is going to get you very far. People aint interested in an arrogant ar*e hole. No offence

So why cant you run SB3 or FSinn?

Adam Walker

Michael C. Heyer 811019
Posted
Posted (edited)
i really dont think having a go at the guy for pointing that out is going to get you very far. People aint interested in an arrogant ar*e hole. No offence

So why cant you run SB3 or FSinn?

See, I came here just because I have a problem running the AVC Tuner. I used to use it for many months without any problems. Now, since simhardware.co.nz obviously did split into two companies it does not work anymore.

If I tell you that neither FSInn nor SB3 works on my computer you may really believe me. I'm 51 years of age, I earn my living with computers for almost 20 years now and (at least most of the time) I know quite well what I'm talking about.

Please stop replying to my post if you are unable to help me. It's just a wasting of time. I didn't come here to discuss neither FSInn nor SB3 issues. I just came here looking for help on my AVC Tuner problem.

So, it's not me beeing arrogant, folks, but anyone who doubts that I really knew what I actually came here for! I'm asking for help on my problem with the AVC Tuner not running any more! I really don't need any help on any other issues at this time. Thank you very much!

Edited by Guest

Regards,

Michael C. Heyer

Senior ATP Captain

1110.png

Anthony ImBoden
Posted
Posted

Mr Heyer.

Your best bet would be to see if someone at your VA, or either of the 2 seperate companies has a copy of the AVC Tuner lying around, and reinstall the software. Both new companies have a webform that can be used to contact them with questions. Be sure to uninstall what is currently installed first.

Also, I would see if there is any updates for your version of Windows, as this may have some affect on the issue at hand.

If you have any further questions, feel free to email me at anthony [at] imboden.ca

Anthony ImBoden

PS: If I may ask, and strictly on curisoty (like every one else) why not upgrade the software. Both FSInn and SB3 are free packages. Any money involved with either project I belive is strictly a donation, and not required.

Anthony ImBoden (CDN008)

Vice President of Events & Public Relations

Canadian Airlines Virtual

Fly the Goose. Fly Canadian.

http://www.flycav.com

Michael C. Heyer 811019
Posted
Posted

Why doesn't anybody just believe me???

... a copy of the AVC Tuner lying around, and reinstall the software.

I already reinstalled the software.

Also, I would see if there is any updates for your version of Windows, as this may have some affect on the issue at hand.

All updates are installed.

... why not upgrade the software. Both FSInn and SB3 are free packages.

Because SB3 does not run and FSInn does not run properly on "MS-Windows ME" (even with the ME patch installed). Upgrading to "MS-Windows xp" will not work either because this O/S demands too much from a PIII 1GHz, 512MB machine.

Everything worked just fine before simhardware.co.nz split into two companies and I already tried to email Stuart Whelan some weeks ago but unfortunately he did not yet answer me.

Regards,

Michael C. Heyer

Senior ATP Captain

1110.png

Norm Hare 907837
Posted
Posted

It appears others have had this issue in the past, although XP is the OS in this post

http://www.vatpac.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4114

Michael,

I have also been in computer support for many years and understand the frustrations of troubleshooting these type issues. Unfortunately it may come down to doing a reload of your OS (I know you didn't want to hear that, but I am sure it has crossed your mind) I never liked Windows ME very much and often thought it to be a bit buggy. Perhaps you could find someone that has an unused Windows 2000 license and CD lying around that you could install on your machine. I recently had a client upgrade to new machines with XP and before I had the chance to retrieve them, they threw away all the retired Win2K licenses. A 1ghz PIII w 512mb could certainly handle that.

Michael C. Heyer 811019
Posted
Posted
It appears others have had this issue in the past, although XP is the OS in this post

http://www.vatpac.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4114

Michael,

I have also been in computer support for many years and understand the frustrations of troubleshooting these type issues. Unfortunately it may come down to doing a reload of your OS (I know you didn't want to hear that, but I am sure it has crossed your mind) I never liked Windows ME very much and often thought it to be a bit buggy. Perhaps you could find someone that has an unused Windows 2000 license and CD lying around that you could install on your machine. I recently had a client upgrade to new machines with XP and before I had the chance to retrieve them, they threw away all the retired Win2K licenses. A 1ghz PIII w 512mb could certainly handle that.

Hi Norm!

Thanks for your reply. Well, this (western European) morning I finally managed to talk to a person of Simulation Hardware Ltd, Christchurch, New Zealand (although it already was 10:00 PM local there). This person promised to get in contact with Mr. Stuart Whelan (who is the developer of the AVC Tuner). Maybe he can do something for me...

Here's a quote from the thread you mentioned:

When AVC Tuner asked the simhardware site what the latest version was, it was given back an invalid reply, causing it to crash.

I has previously addressed a bug in AVC Tuner in which it crashed if the simhardware server was down, but it appears the bug is

still present in another form. I will attempt release a new version over the new few days to address this.

This is exactly what's happening right now. I already knew this because it happened two or three times before some months ago but the people of simhardware always managed to get their server up and running again after a while.

Unfortunately this above mentioned new release has never been finished. And this is why I came here looking for some extraordinary help, looking for some experts which might possibly be able to provide a way how to prevent the AVC Tuner from trying to connect to "his master" down under or to somehow simulate the existence of this server.

Concerning the O/S alternative: If you believe that my "1ghz PIII w 512mb could certainly handle that" I will give it a try (although I'm more than sceptical here). BTW I never experienced another more stable, more reliably working MS O/S on any of my computers than this ME. No CTDs, no BSDs whatsoever since this brave machine is running; and it already runs since the days of FS7...

Regards,

Michael C. Heyer

Senior ATP Captain

1110.png

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi Michael,

Just for a benchmarking reference, I used a 1.4Ghz AthlonXP with 512Mb RAM, a 64Mb ATI Radeon card and a SB PCI64 with FS2002 SB3 and ActiveskyWXRE running under XP. I always used the PMDG 737NG 600/700(No VC) package with this setup.

This setup gave me about 15FPS on a good day and about 7FPS in a busy session. It wasn't an amazing setup, but if necessary, I would turn off multiplayer to get back my frames in a very busy session(read TGIF/CTP etc..).

I also ran Win2000 on this setup. Both OS never gave me any real problems compared to running Win98 on the same machine(read BSOD) and ran fine. Don't get me wrong, you will see the odd crash, here and there. But, I'm talking seeing a crash maybe once every month or two. I know where you are coming from, when things are working right, you just don't want to mess with it . But, if you can get SB3 working with FS, you just won't go back. Believe me on this.

May I recommend a dual boot, so you can try out 2000/XP without compromising your ME setup. This'll let you know if it will work for you and if it doesn't, you can always remove it with no ill effects.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Paul.

Michael C. Heyer 811019
Posted
Posted
Just for a benchmarking reference, I used a 1.4Ghz AthlonXP with 512Mb RAM, a 64Mb ATI Radeon card and a SB PCI64 with FS2002 SB3 and ActiveskyWXRE running under XP. I always used the PMDG 737NG 600/700(No VC) package with this setup.

This setup gave me about 15FPS on a good day and about 7FPS in a busy session.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help. So my machine (1GHz) will probably give me roughly 70% of your FPS only (10 to 5) with 2000/xp; doesn't sound too good to me, doesn't it. I get 15 to 10 right now (with WinME).

I know where you are coming from, when things are working right, you just don't want to mess with it .

Affirmative. That's just it!

May I recommend a dual boot, so you can try out 2000/XP without compromising your ME setup.

RGR, wilco.

Regards,

Michael C. Heyer

Senior ATP Captain

1110.png