You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Mic clarity on vPilot needs to improve

Fredric Greenblott 1346549

Posted
Posted

So I was just doing a routine IFR flight from Phoenix to Los Angeles, and everything went fine up until the final approach - LAX Tower's voice clarity was very, very choppy and I could barely understand him. I was lined up to land on 25R, and suddenly this 737 that was holding short begins to line up on the runway (Yes, I was cleared to land). The tower didn't tell the 737 to get off the runway (or if he did, I didn't hear it) and I was forced to go around. When I did end up landing, the tower apologized to me and I went to LAX Ground for taxiing to the gate.

So, long story short, the voice quality in some areas needs to improve. And it's not just in the LA area. It's definitely not me, my computer is right next to my router. What do you guys think???

System Specs: Core i7-7700K OC'ed to 5.0GHz, 16GB Ballistix DDR4-2400 RAM, OC'ed NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 80GB HDD + 1TB External HDD

18.png

Richard Walsh
Posted
Posted

I think stuff happens. You have to adapt. Voice problems happen on real radios. 25R is a departure runway. You should have been lining up for 25L. You say tower was choppy. Are you sure he cleared you to land on 25R? If so then the guy on the runway was his problem not yours. He apologized. No big deal. Just my 2 cents

Posted
Posted
I think stuff happens. You have to adapt. Voice problems happen on real radios. 25R is a departure runway. You should have been lining up for 25L. You say tower was choppy. Are you sure he cleared you to land on 25R? If so then the guy on the runway was his problem not yours. He apologized. No big deal. Just my 2 cents

Yeah, even SoCal Approach said that tower was having problems before I changed frequencies... So I guess I don't blame him... And yeah, that 737 kinda pissed me off but it's over now. I'm flying the route again tomorrow morning so hopefully it will be clearer.

System Specs: Core i7-7700K OC'ed to 5.0GHz, 16GB Ballistix DDR4-2400 RAM, OC'ed NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 80GB HDD + 1TB External HDD

18.png

Richard Walsh
Posted
Posted

If tower was having problems it wasn't VPilot. Could have been his connection. Either way no big deal.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
It's definitely not me, my computer is right next to my router. What do you guys think???

I think the proximity of your computer to the router has nothing to do with it.

Seriously though, if LAX tower was the only one that sounded choppy to you, then it was his microphone and/or internet connection that had an issue.

That being said, there is plenty of room for improvement in VATSIM's voice infrastructure. There are developers working on it behind the scenes.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Posted
Posted
It's definitely not me, my computer is right next to my router. What do you guys think???

I think the proximity of your computer to the router has nothing to do with it.

Seriously though, if LAX tower was the only one that sounded choppy to you, then it was his microphone and/or internet connection that had an issue.

That being said, there is plenty of room for improvement in VATSIM's voice infrastructure. There are developers working on it behind the scenes.

I've been to a lot of other places where the ATC coverage is choppy/bad... But anyway, glad to hear the vPilot team is working on things.

18.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
But anyway, glad to hear the vPilot team is working on things.

It's not the vPilot team (there is no vPilot team, it's just me) ... it's other VATSIM developers, mainly from the swift team.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

also note the controllers dont use the pilot clients to control. there are separate atc clients. some controllers dont own flightsim at all

• 2 weeks later...
Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

Something that wouldn't happen in ICAO land, but is common in FAA land, is aircraft may be cleared to land, while another is departing on the same/crossing runway.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member