You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

For "Someone" in ZLA

Jim Hurst 1353723

Jim Hurst 1353723
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if the ZLA Pilot Rating programs are still operational?

Looking at the IFR/VFR Roster, I see it hasn't been updated in nearly two months.

During that time, I completed two ratings in late April (VFR 1 & 2 -- both with Samuel Carman), but never saw an update on the site. I submitted a couple comments on their site to that effect, but they were either not received or acted upon, as evidenced by the roster link.

Consequently, I stopped doing ZLA ratings entirely, but I do think that if that program is defunct, a notice of such might be helpful. If the program is still ongoing, an update would be useful.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by Guest

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted

Hi Jim,

I'm unsure as to whether or not the ZLA Pilot Ratings program is still in operation. However, I hate to hear that you have stopped going through the program/ratings due to a lack of updates. Feel free to check out the Boston Virtual ARTCC (BVA) Pilot Ratings Program (PRP). You must be a pilot member in order to participate, so if you're interested I encourage you to apply here.

Good luck with the situation at ZLA and, if you have any questions or concerns regarding BVA or our PRP, feel free to send me an email (linked in my signature).

Take care,

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Jim Hurst 1353723
Posted
Posted

Hi Camden,

Thanks for your reply -- no worries. I simply stopped flying ZLA's rating programs, as they appear inactive, although the controller I flew the first two with, seemed to be well aware of, and comfortable with the program. It's simply the lack of updates on their roster page that I found odd, which prompted me to post here. Hopefully, a ZLA member "in the know" will see the topic and give us all a definitive update on the program.

As for myself, I'm definitely continuing on with my Pilot Ratings. I currently have the P1, P2, and I just finished the P4 written exam with VATSTAR -- I'm now working on the practical flights to complete that rating, and in fact, it's funny you mentioned BVA, because I just did join there last week to start taking advantage of your PRP flights (for P3/P4/P5).

So, no doubt, I'll be popping up on your scopes soon...

Regards,

Jim

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted

Great to hear that you're progressing with BVAs partner organization, VATSTAR, and I'm extremely happy to hear that you've joined us and are planning on taking advantage of the PRPs.

Good luck and see you in the air!

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

Jim, feel free to shoot an email to their staff as some may not check the VATSIM forums. They can be reached at [email protected] and [email protected]. They may be able to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist you further with this.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
They can be reached at [email protected] and [email protected].

Then again, neither of them have access to the ratings submissions nor the ability to edit the ratings roster. The most they can do is serve as a middleman and add another link to the contact chain.

Looking at the IFR/VFR Roster, I see it hasn't been updated in nearly two months.

When did you check it? As of the time I am composing this reply, the most recent date on that page is May 29, 2016 (1 week ago).

I submitted a couple comments on their site to that effect, but they were either not received or acted upon, as evidenced by the roster link.

Just to double check, was this the page you you used to submit the comments?

Jim Hurst 1353723
Posted
Posted

Hi Bradley,

Thanks for responding. Yes, that is the comments page I mentioned and used.

And the Roster page I refer to is the link "Roster" on that same page -- and as of this posting, it still shows the "most recent" 10 people to get a rating was Alexis Gonzalez on April 6, which is more than two months out of date -- still.

In any case, I've moved on... If they update their lists, fine ... and if they don't, fine... I was merely trying to bring it to the attention of someone who cares, if they're so-inclined.

I already feel like I've had to give out RL personal information to far too many organizations already, just to fly here, and I'm very loathe to continue doing that -- so if the answer is "you have to join yet another organization" to see the rating, I don't need to know that badly.

That prior point kept me away from VATSIM for years, and it is, by far, the biggest downside. I've gotten to an age in life (late 50's) where I'm starting to care less about it, but I still (really) don't like giving out personal information to complete strangers, in multiple organizations ... especially for a hobby.

In any case, I apologize for the mini rant there, but the upshot, is that their public ratings pages appear to be neglected, and if that matters to them, they might want to amend it, or tell folks that the program isn't available to non-members any more...

Regards,

Jim

PS> I have been the victim of identity theft before -- so that RL info issue is a Major One for me.

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

What he means is at the local levels they can only see info from the VATSIM DB on their own members, they can't see any other members. So to be able to use that facility you would have to transfer to that region or division so you show up in their feeds. It isn't more or new information.

Pilots can change regions and divisions all they like, or not change it ever. You can fly anywhere regardless of your [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned division. We [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign divisions for communications purposes only, pilots don't 'belong' to anyone and are served by everyone.

Kyle Ramsey

• 2 weeks later...
Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
They can be reached at [email protected] and [email protected].

Then again, neither of them have access to the ratings submissions nor the ability to edit the ratings roster. The most they can do is serve as a middleman and add another link to the contact chain.

Seems backwards to me.. but they can at least forward the request to the "correct" individual and should (in theory) know what's going on within their facility.

Jim Hurst 1353723
Posted
Posted

As a follow up, it does look like the list has now been updated fairly recently.

While I don't see the record of my V1 Rating flight (4/22/2016) on the "V1 Roster" page, I do see my V2 Rating flight (4/25/2016) on the "V2 Roster" page and on the Recent 10 pilots page.

That's an encouraging (and appreciated) sign.

Regards,

Jim