You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSX - Can it be installed twice

Sean Harrison

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Has anyone installed FSX on their PC twice with any success? Or any comments!

I currently have FSXsp2 running and I am perfectly happy with the way it is running and setup, However most payware Helicopters only run properly on FSXaccelation.

My desire to fly quality rotaries is ever looming, and then today I had this idea. "Can FSX be installed on the one system twice?" So I can keep my current FSXsp2 as a fixed wing program with all my addons etc, but have a FSX Acceleration as a rotary wing program.

Fingers crossed someone has done this or has some knowledge on doing it. ???

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

That's really strange that any model would require acceleration and not work on SP2. I thought SP2 was essentially equivalent to acceleration. I guess not ...

To answer your question, I'm not sure how you'd be able to run both versions simultaneously ... they share the same registry entries and configuration file locations. You might be able to switch back and forth with some creative batch file work, renaming the directories and setting the registry entries accordingly, but it would not be trivial.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Thanks Ross. I should have mentioned I was on W10.

Since my post I had been thinking of the possible issues, and yes registry was one I had missed.

Ah well, I guess I'm destined to stay with sp2. Freeware FS9 choppers seem to work ok, so I'll keep flying them.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Why do you need SP2 and Acceleration? What prevents you from using only Acceleration?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

yea im kinda confused there as well, if they require acceleration specifically, i would ask the developers what about acceleration is it that required as SP2 is included with acceleration (hence you dont need to install SP2 if you have acceleration).\

you sure the specs dont say "Acceleration or SP2" ?

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Positive. I've even purchased and installed one, only to been embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed when seeking support to see only works properly on acceleration.

To answer the other question, can I risk installing acceleration with my PMDG, BBS, wilco, etc etc etc.

It's taken a while to get to a nice stable system that I am happy with. Not sure I can risk starting all over by going for a straight acceleration version. Will all my current addons survive?

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

I can't understand given this from the developers;

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ptaylor/2007/10/03/acceleration-and-sp2/

That a payware addon would say;

This addon requires Acceleration Expansion Pack for FSX pre-installed to run properly.

I paid for it, and things don't work in sp2. Why?

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...
Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

From another helicopter developer;

All of our aircraft are coded with the Acceleration and P3D SDKs, so FSX Acceleration is required for all of our aircraft. May work in early FSX releases, but we cannot guarantee they will work in those early releases.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png