You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Create and Edit Sector Files

Mounir El-Haddouchi 135890

Posted
Posted

Good day partners! I wanted to know how I can create and/or edit Sector Files (most of them in .SCT format). When I say editing I say update fixes, VOR's, NDB's, Airways, etc according to new AIRAC's. Moreover, I would like to know which are the best editing and creating tools as I've tried to use SectEd. Thank you all!!

Ismail El Moussati
Posted
Posted

Good idea, looking for the same

Ismail El Moussati
Northern Africa Division Founder l VATSIM Network Supervisor
Royal Air Maroc Virtual CEO
Virtual AirTraffic Simulation Network

0.png

Jonas Kuster
Posted
Posted

The best possibility currently is for sure GNG. For which region you plan to update sector files?

Jonas Kuster
Network Supervisor
Leader Operation vACC Switzerland | vacc.ch @vaccswitzerland
GNG Support Team | gng.aero-nav.com
ES Plugin Developer | CCAMS

Posted
Posted

First of all I have to say thanks for your answer. Then, I am looking to update the Moroccan Sector File by now, but in the future maybe I would like to create new sector files for Northern Africa region.

Evgeny Vygornitsky
Posted
Posted

I'd like to try GNG service (though I am very happy with SectEd) but I cannot register there.

I am not a vACC representative so i need some help in registration there.

VATRUS Division Director, Supervisor

RU-CEN_FSS - CIS Central Asia FSS ("Asia-Center")

Email: director(at)vatrus.info

Sachin Gnath
Posted
Posted

I use SectEd & IvAc Builder for editing my sector files.

Regards, 

S G

Jonas Kuster
Posted
Posted
Then, I am looking to update the Moroccan Sector File by now, but in the future maybe I would like to create new sector files for Northern Africa region.
I'm already in charge of the African sector files. Marocco is currently transfered to the GNG system and can be expected to be available within a few weeks. The AFRN sector file will follow later, for now the focus is on local sector files. One for Algeria has recently been published (http://files.aero-nav.com/DAAA)

I'd like to try GNG service (though I am very happy with SectEd) but I cannot register there.

I am not a vACC representative so i need some help in registration there.

The registration should be done by the vACC representative and he will be able to allow different access levels to other users. GNG is not a platform where a kind of test environment is available, all changes are live and affect other (adjacent) users. A help section with advices is available directly on the different pages of GNG to explain the functionalities, additional uncertainities may be discussed in the forum. I suggest you to contact your vACC representative to talk about how you want to proceed.

Jonas Kuster
Network Supervisor
Leader Operation vACC Switzerland | vacc.ch @vaccswitzerland
GNG Support Team | gng.aero-nav.com
ES Plugin Developer | CCAMS

Evgeny Vygornitsky
Posted
Posted
The registration should be done by the vACC representative and he will be able to allow different access levels to other users. GNG is not a platform where a kind of test environment is available, all changes are live and affect other (adjacent) users. A help section with advices is available directly on the different pages of GNG to explain the functionalities, additional uncertainities may be discussed in the forum. I suggest you to contact your vACC representative to talk about how you want to proceed.

It's very strange for me that at the Division level there is no possibility to register. If there had been such a possibility I would have called all the vACC directors to take part in creating good sectors for all our huge division.

VATRUS Division Director, Supervisor

RU-CEN_FSS - CIS Central Asia FSS ("Asia-Center")

Email: director(at)vatrus.info

Nicolas Ammann
Posted
Posted

Hi Evgeny

It is actually not entirely true that it is vACC based. The entity that publishes the sector file should sign up at GNG. In most cases on VATSIM this is a vACC, since each vACC has its own sector file. In other cases this even is a FIR, e.g. Germany, each FIR publishes its own file, however their files are combined on one download page: http://files.aero-nav.com/EDXX

So if you want to have one sector file for the whole division then you could sign up the division. But honestly I do not believe that this would be a very good idea, as the file would become huge and take forever to load, further more stretching from something like 35°N to the north pole leading to difficulties when displaying, probably huge differences in magnetic variation...

Usually the person responsible for the creation of the file signs up and is the "owner" of a vACC within GNG. This way he can set and revoke read/write rights of his vACC for new people, can register beta tester for his vACC and so on. Also we will contact this person in case of any abnormalities and neighboring vACCs will most likely contact this person if they need to discuss something, e.g. airspace borders or COPX. Sometimes it is also the vACC Director who signs up, it does not matter too much for us who it actually is, but it makes things easier if it is someone actually working with the file instead of VATGOV1 for the whole planet.

I do not know why you exactly want to register the division. Is it that all files of your Division are on one download page? This could be easily done. Or do you want to be the owner of all VATRUS vACCs within GNG? Also this can be done, with the drawbacks mentioned above. Still someone would need to register each individual vACC (or each entity that publishes a separate sector file), either you or someone in each vACC. We can change ownership of the vACC to you thereafter.

Kind regards,

Nicolas Ammann

nicolasammann-2.png