You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Similar Airline Codes

Simon Kelsey

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross,

With the new automatic model matching in vPilot v2 -- am I right in thinking that the airline and type codes are all held on the server?

If so -- would it be possible to tweak them slightly so that SHT callsigns display BAW-liveried aircraft? I'm aware it's possible to make this happen with a custom model match set, but as it is a standard situation it would be nice for it to work without user intervention, which doesn't seem to be the case at the moment.

(For those unaware -- BA use the SHT callsign for domestic flights: these are operated by BA's normal mainline fleet and crews, so it's not a separate operation nor is there a separate livery, just a hangover from the days of the Trident/BAC1-11 shuttle flights!).

Thanks!

Vice President, Pilot Training

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yeah, the airline codes are stored in a ModelMatchingData.xml file that is downloaded from the server whenever it is updated.

In order to make SHT work for BAW I'll need to add a list of "Airline Code Aliases" and add some code to perform the model matching twice ... once for the actual airline code (SHT in this case) and once for the code its alias points to (BAW in this case). (The second p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] will only happen if the code is found in the alias list, of course.)

This would help with some VATSIM-only cases that we have, such as DVA. So I'll start the alias list with SHT->BAW and DVA->DAL. If anyone has any others, let me know.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

Great, thank you Ross!

Nico Kaan
Posted
Posted
If anyone has any others, let me know.

LHA->DLH

Nico Kaan

Developer: PSXseeconTraffic, ParkPosGenerator and AILGenerator

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Maybe some of the special ones such as DL -> DAL, AA -> AAL, etc.

Maybe USA/AWE -> AAL?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Maybe some of the special ones such as DL -> DAL, AA -> AAL, etc.

Maybe USA/AWE -> AAL?

I think those are cases where the pilot has made a mistake. This feature would not be intended to try to correct for that sort of thing.

In fact, the same could be said about DVA->DAL, so I'll probably remove that one.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
If anyone has any others, let me know.

LHA->DLH

I'm not finding any reference online to LHA being used as an airline code. All I could find was Lufthansa's stock ticker.

How is that one used?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

dont forget the retro VA's, still have those flying around online. still nice every now and then to see a TWA or America West

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
dont forget the retro VA's, still have those flying around online. still nice every now and then to see a TWA or America West

This feature is not for defunct airlines or airlines that have been acquired. It is for situations like British Airways Shuttle which uses a different callsign prefix but the same liveries.

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Could you store them locally so members can add their own if they like.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Actually "LHA" is a virtual airline called "Leipzig Air" and it has been existing for many years (founded in 2001): http://www.leipzigair.de/abflugtv.php

They regularly fly on VATSIM, so I suggest using LHA for this airline. They should have their own modelset, too.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Actually "LHA" is a virtual airline called "Leipzig Air" and it has been existing for many years (founded in 2001): http://www.leipzigair.de/abflugtv.php

They regularly fly on VATSIM, so I suggest using LHA for this airline. They should have their own modelset, too.

This airline code aliasing feature would only take effect if you don't already have rules loaded for the callsign prefix in use.

In other words, if Leipzig Air members had their own model set and loaded their own custom model matching rules, then that would take precedence over aliasing LHA to DLH.

• 1 month later...
Eric Liu
Posted
Posted

I've hardly ever seen someone use this:

KLC - KLM

KLC being KLM Cityhopper

But, in the case this happens, why not :p

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

As far as I'm aware, KLM themself don't use KLC as well. All the cityhopper flights are just KLM as well.

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I've decided against adding this feature, since the only airline that it would seem to apply to is SHT/BAW. So instead, I'm just going to duplicate all the BAW liveries in the model matching database for the SHT code.

Clarke Kruger
Posted
Posted

I think what it really comes down to is people just doing a little bit of homework as to proper ICAO codes used on the network.

Still to this day I see A LOT of people using IATA codes which VPilot will not pick up. Flightradar24.com is a great source for what is filed.

Clarke Kruger

Edmonton (CYEG) AB, Canada

VATSIM Network Supervisor | Team 1

Have a question? Email [email protected]

Eric Liu
Posted
Posted
As far as I'm aware, KLM themself don't use KLC as well. All the cityhopper flights are just KLM as well.

Yeah, they don't seem to use it. KLM do seem to use "KLC" as a codeshare on their departure boards at Schiphol for some odd reason.

• 2 months later...
Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I've decided against adding this feature, since the only airline that it would seem to apply to is SHT/BAW. So instead, I'm just going to duplicate all the BAW liveries in the model matching database for the SHT code.

This is complete ... all the BAW models in the database will now be used for SHT aircraft also. (vPilot 2.0)

• 1 month later...
Ittai Arnon
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I'm using vPilot v2 and still see all SHT a/cs as other livery then the BAW one...

Is there anyway to update / edit it manually ?

Ittai Arnon

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Hi,

I'm using vPilot v2 and still see all SHT a/cs as other livery then the BAW one...

What livery do you see them as? And do you definitely have a baw livery installed in the right type code and vpilot is finding it in the scan?

Ittai Arnon
Posted
Posted
Hi,

What livery do you see them as? And do you definitely have a baw livery installed in the right type code and vpilot is finding it in the scan?

I saw BAW plane for sure, yes.

Regarding the SHT livery I don't recall but I it was some charter or NORD something livery...

I can take a screen shot tonight when EGLL is busy if needed...

Anyway is it something I can manually edit somewhere ? or not ?

Ittai Arnon

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

Hi Ittai,

Any custom model matching rules (.vmr files) loaded will take priority over the automatic model matching.

For what it's worth, I'm sure last time I flew the SHT liveries were displaying correctly using the automatic matching and WoAI. Have you got any custom .vmr files loaded at all?

Simon

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross,

Any chance of a small festive addition?

XMS also = BAW -- these are the callsigns for the annual 'Santa Flights' BA put on to Rovaniemi and Kittila.

(Sorry -- BA do seem to delight in being awkward in many ways!)

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Hah, that's funny ... sure, I'll make that addition. It may not be done in time for this Christmas, though. I have way too much on my plate before then.

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

Thanks! No rush -- I'm sure they'll still be doing them for many years to come.

Cheers Ross!