You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Firewall Issues

Tim Slater 883355

Tim Slater 883355
Posted
Posted

I've come across a problem which arises while using Norton AntiVirus 2005 with VRC. Every few seconds I will get an 'intruder alert' which states:

Intrusion: Invalid UDP Destination Port

Intruder: (My local IP address)

Risk Level: Medium

Source IP address: (My local IP address)

Destination IP address: 33.249.83.192

UDP Source Port: 3290

UDP Destination Port: 0. Invalid

I'm really baffled as to what is causing this. I have tried a number of configurations - with/without manual router port forwarding - with/without a program exception in Norton.

In all these configurations, there is no apparent loss of actual functionality with regards to port 3290 being blocked. However, this message still pops up every few seconds.

Tim

1464.pngcpu.gif

Christopher Serio 823884
Posted
Posted

This is a known issue with the voice code and Norton...we're looking into it though it's a fairly recent problem and I'm quite baffled as to what could be causing it.

Christopher Serio,

Developer XTower/AVC/XSB/ACSim (Sweatbox)

667.png

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted

One more reason to get rid of the Norton stuff alltogether

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Piotr Nowicki 841944
Posted
Posted
One more reason to get rid of the Norton stuff alltogether

I use NIS2006... more problems than revenues... I just turn it off (via msconfig) when I want to control or fly on line. I just try to avoid any other Internet activity.

regards,

Piotr Nowicki

VATSIM.net Membership Depratment

Leader, Support Group 2, VATSIM Supervisor

Tim Slater 883355
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info Christopher. I think I'm just gonna turn NAV off until the problem gets sorted. I'm sure my NAT firewall is more than capable of coping without it

Tim

1464.pngcpu.gif

Scott Eastwood
Posted
Posted

Hi Tim, I had the same problem with the alert popping up all the time. I then noticed it wasn't a "valid" attack, and checked the option to not display the alret again. Solved the problem without disabling the firewall. I succesfully used VRC this morning for about 3 hours with no evident problems/issue's.

Scott.