You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Stay on top

James Atchley

James Atchley
Posted
Posted

If vPilot cannot be run as on top of FSX in full screen what work around do most people use? Does everyone just use windowed mode?

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

I use both windowed mode (so I can switch easier between programs) and never use vPilot to stay on top. It's only annoying and takes space.

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

vpilot isnt meant to be run with FS in fullscreen

James Atchley
Posted
Posted

I think this means I'll have to stick with Squawkbox or FSINN. How do you use vPilot if you have to switch between that and FSX every time. It looks like great software and the MTL is a must have but switching is just too much each time. I prefer to have SB running over FSX as another instrument in the panel.

Thanks for the replies.

James

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

Why would you even want to run vPilot on top? Unless you are a text person instead of a voice person, I'd understand.

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

windowed mode. as far as "MTL", if you mean IVAO's MTL its neither a must nor supported.

I think this means I'll have to stick with Squawkbox or FSINN. How do you use vPilot if you have to switch between that and FSX every time. It looks like great software and the MTL is a must have but switching is just too much each time. I prefer to have SB running over FSX as another instrument in the panel.

Thanks for the replies.

James

Why would you even want to run vPilot on top? Unless you are a text person instead of a voice person, I'd understand.

because you are required to pay attention to that little ATC box. using any other source for that info wont be an acceptable excuse later for "i didnt see them listed", the pilot client is your only true source of information for that, the client shows you live data, where the other programs out there only show you info from the data feed which sometimes fails. also so you dont miss a potential PM from a sup/admin

James Atchley
Posted
Posted
windowed mode. as far as "MTL", if you mean IVAO's MTL its neither a must nor supported.

Thanks for the replies.

James

because you are required to pay attention to that little ATC box. using any other source for that info wont be an acceptable excuse later for "i didnt see them listed", the pilot client is your only true source of information for that, the client shows you live data, where the other programs out there only show you info from the data feed which sometimes fails. also so you dont miss a potential PM from a sup/admin

Well I meant the model matching inherent in vPilot rather than MTL.

And yes I do keep whatever pilot client I am using open and on top, as I said as another instrument on the panel, so I don't miss anything and no switching between screens.

James Atchley
Posted
Posted

By the way this is in no way a knock on vPilot. I believe Ross Carlson is the developer? All I have for Ross is great thanks. Something that is offered free to use with this much work is just beyond the call of duty and add my appreciation for Mr. Carlson's efforts. Also, I haven't been that active on VATSIM for a while and am just getting back up to speed on what is new. If most people use vPilot with it minimized I'll give it a try.

Honestly I debated on whether to start this thread for this very reason. It's free, there will be no complaining which I can't argue with. It was just more of a 'what does everyone else do'.

James

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
If most people use vPilot with it minimized I'll give it a try.

You can't - that would go against the CoC. I would venture a guess and say that most people using vPilot probably have it on a secondary monitor.

Using vPilot with FSX in full screen mode (especially in a single monitor setup) simply wasn't a primary design goal - Ross himself has stated that. If that is the situation you're in, you can either use windowed mode or try SquawkBox as an FSX module (though you might occasionally get an error pop-up you'll have to dismiss - a known SB4 bug that was never fixed).

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

You can configure vPilot to send any incoming textual radio message or private message to FSX so that it appears as text across the top of the sim window. Maybe I should add an option to notify you in the same way when new ATC stations come within range?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
Maybe I should add an option to notify you in the same way when new ATC stations come within range?

Perhaps it could be selective (i.e. above FL240 only new Centers send a notification and it only sends information about TWR/GND/DEL if the identifier matches your arrival/departure airport)?

What would be really cool is if it notified you when you were x miles from a new online Center (using VAT-SPY data)...

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Here is a neat little program that will allow any window to "Stay on top." http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13784/keep-a-window-on-top-with-a-handy-autohotkey-script/

vPilot already has an option to "stay on top", but when FSX is in full screen mode, Windows dedicates the entire screen to FSX and no other programs can be displayed, even if they're set to stay on top.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC