You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

NVidia slider for multiple monitors

John Binner

John Binner
Posted
Posted

I tried the steps in the Known Issues for Multiple monitors configuration for NVidia....however there is no slider using 2 cards. My setup is a AGP Quadro card, and a PCI NVidia 4400 card. With two cards I am still unable to drag the strip bay to the second monitor.

I am aware its a known issue, would just be nice if we could figure it out, as I can drag anything I want in flight sim with no problems, including FSInn windows.

John Binner,

System Specs:

MB: ASUS M5A99FX

CPU: AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 125W AM3+ Eight-Core 4.0GHz

Video: Nvdia 970

Memory: 16GB DDR3

Win10 Pro 64-Bit

P3D v4, PMDG, ActiveSky, GEX, etc.

Dominic Manning 811381
Posted
Posted

That slider is for Nvidia cards using dual heads. That means ONE video card and TWO monitors both plugged into it.

You problem lies with using TWO video cards with ONE moniter each.

If the 4400 is a duel head card (you can plug two monitors into it), then you can use both monitors on it and set it as the primary vid card. That should fix it.

Scopes do not update on monitors driven by secondary video cards

If you drag a scope window to another monitor, and that monitor is connected to a video card other than your primary card, the scope will not refresh. This is due to the way video memory is utilized. I will be looking into ways to remedy this, but it is possible that this issue will not be fixed. This issue does not affect the floating tool windows or chat windows ... only the scope windows and the flight strip bay.

John Binner
Posted
Posted

The Quadro has dual, with one analog and one digital....but I dont have a spare digital laying around.

I'll have to wait till I can afford a digital and go that route.

Thanks,

John Binner,

System Specs:

Win10 Pro 64-Bit

Richard Ruminski
Posted
Posted

Hi John,

My Quadro came with an adapter plug that converts the digital to standard VGA. Looks like this http://store.homeavcables.com/41051.html

Ric Ruminski Events Coordinator ZMA

Ric Ruminski I1

VATUSA11

Communications Manager VATUSA

email: VATUSA11 (at) vatusa.net

Andrew Steinberg 939662
Posted
Posted
Hi John,

My Quadro came with an adapter plug that converts the digital to standard VGA. Looks like this http://store.homeavcables.com/41051.html

Ric Ruminski Events Coordinator ZMA

That came with my 6800 when I bought it.

Andrew Steinberg

C-1, VATUSA

userbar230662ff.gif

Mark Brummett
Posted
Posted

Same here, but mine's an older 5900, with a DVI and VGA port out. Came with a DVI/VGA adapter.

Mark Brummett

Website owner, http://www.zkcartcc.org

ZKC Events Co-ordinator

John Binner
Posted
Posted

card is a spare from work also, so I will look for the adapter. But I kinda liked a second card, with a second GPU....offloading SOME windows does help!

thanks all.

John Binner,

System Specs:

Win10 Pro 64-Bit

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The reason it works in MSFS but not VRC/ASRC is because VRC and ASRC use OpenGL and MSFS uses DirectX. The programming is very different between the two. OpenGL can only address one "device" (card) at a time, while perhaps DirectX treats all cards as a single device. (I don't know since I've never written a line of DirectX code in my life. )

I may try to find a way around this in a future version, but it is low priority. Luckily, all the "normal" windows like chat windows, flight strip editor, controller list, aircraft list, etc. can all be dragged to a monitor plugged into a different card.

Note that when I refer to ASRC above, I mean version 1.1 I'm not sure if Mike fixed this in the upcoming patch or not.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

John Binner
Posted
Posted

thanks Ross, I do understand where you are coming from...just would be nice to USE my second monitor for secondary scopes, and right now I cant.

Luckily ZJX airspace has a nice area to the NW to stick em all. lol

John Binner,

System Specs:

Win10 Pro 64-Bit