You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Non RVSM indicator and RVSM indicator mixed?

Jonas Kuster

Jonas Kuster
Posted
Posted

While I was working on some tag families, I got a bit confused by the RVSM and Non RVSM indicators. I seems to be exactly the other way round than explained in the wiki. At least, all IFR traffic was shown a W indicator and a VFR traffic was shown a crossed W. I expected to be it exactly the other way round. Perhaps I did understand something wrong and someone can explain.

What types are used to determine the RVSM capability?

Jonas Kuster
Network Supervisor
Leader Operation vACC Switzerland | vacc.ch @vaccswitzerland
GNG Support Team | gng.aero-nav.com
ES Plugin Developer | CCAMS

Jonas Kuster
Posted
Posted
ICAO or FAA?

I think as VATSIM uses only FAA codes, it has to be determined on that. But there is no docomeentation I found how the determination whether it is RVSM or not is done exactly, so I don't know really.

Jonas Kuster
Network Supervisor
Leader Operation vACC Switzerland | vacc.ch @vaccswitzerland
GNG Support Team | gng.aero-nav.com
ES Plugin Developer | CCAMS

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Jonas,

ok, I just wanted to be sure that we are talking about the same thing, because the FAA codes are available here: FAA Aeronautical Information Manual (PDF)

Have a look at table "TBL 5 − 1 − 3", page 280: most, if not all, current airliners should use /L since they are able for RNAV, GNSS, have a Mode C transponder and are RVSM-capable. Actually, it used to be different not too long ago, when the codes and their meanings were changed. This might the reason for what you have observed, lots of pilots file incorrect codes. Is the RVSM-detection hard-coded in Euroscope? Gergely, any chance to adapt it to the current FAA-codes (while we actually should be using ICAO-codes, but what can we do?)?