You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Where to begin?

Graham Freeman 1365684

Graham Freeman 1365684
Posted
Posted

I want to become a fully certified ATCO within VATSIM. preferably in my home country Canada and preferably in my home airport, YYZ. Actually it's CNC4 (Guelph) but I'll take any ATC position anywhere on the planet.

I have Microsoft Flight Simulator X:Steam Edition, plus X-Plane 10 Global. My computer is on the higher end of graphics/speed/memory, and at the moment I have just a mouse and keyboard.

What programs should I be installing to get me going on the ATC training track, and what extra hardware should I be looking at? I am willing to invest a few hundred dollars into this hobby to kickstart it, and would like to get my feet wet sooner rather than later.

Mark Walsh
Posted
Posted

Hello Graham, and welcome! In order to kick-start your ATC training and to become an ATC controller, ensure you enroll with us at http://www.vatcan.ca

Once we have your application, you will be [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to the FIR region of your choice and to an instructor. Your instructor will be your essential resource and help you with installing the proper software.

Regards,

Mark Walsh, Vatcan2

Deputy Director

Mark Walsh

Vatsim Network Supervisor

Tomas Hansson
Posted
Posted

To add to Mark's welcome, the only other piece of hardware you will need for ATC is a good USB headset (e.g. Logitech or Plantronics or equivalent). It effectively gives you a second sound card that will let you send communication to either your speakers or headset. We do not use FSX or X-Plane for controlling but if you want to start flying on the network, a good joystick or yoke is definitely recommended! Enjoy your imminent ATC training!

Tomas Hansson

Graham Freeman 1365684
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys.

I will dig out my headset from my EVE playing days. It worked very well for 2-way comms.

I see myself in the NTU controller list as "Observer", so I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that's all I need to do for now - wait for a mentor to be [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to me?

Impressed by the quick replies!

Graham Freeman 1365684
Posted
Posted

UPDATE:

I can see myself listed in the Toronto FIR - CZYZ as Observer. I've been [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned a mentor - I emailed him, awaiting response. I signed up for the Toronto FIR Forum and the account is awaiting activation. Euroscope installed, and now trying to read up on NTU courses.

Thanks!

• Board of Governors
Matthew Cianfarani
Posted
Posted
UPDATE:

I can see myself listed in the Toronto FIR - CZYZ as Observer. I've been [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned a mentor - I emailed him, awaiting response. I signed up for the Toronto FIR Forum and the account is awaiting activation. Euroscope installed, and now trying to read up on NTU courses.

Thanks!

Send me an email: vatcan1[at]vatcan,ca if you do not hear anything over the next few days. Toronto does have a large training Backlog as indicated on our registration form.

Thanks,

Matt

Matthew Cianfarani
Vice President , Technology 
VATSIM Board of Governors

Richard Dobbs 998700
Posted
Posted

Hey welcome! CNC4 is where I learned to fly.........hope to see you on the scopes soon in CZYZ

998700.png

CZYZ FIR/VATCAN4 - VATCAN DCRM/CZYZ FIR Chief (Retd)/ZLA Pilot Rating I9/CVA1409/RW Private Pilot

Graham Freeman 1365684
Posted
Posted

Thanks Richard - you'll recognise me by my English accent

• 1 month later...
Stephen LeDuke 1370040
Posted
Posted

I actually just (re)joined myself. I used to fly on here years ago but I'm starting to get back into it again. I'm looking at becoming a controller with CZYZ and my home aerodrome is CYKF (Waterloo Region Int'l...Westjet has daily service to CYYC Calgary from there). I did take a couple flying lessons with an instructor years ago too in a Diamond DA-20 A1 Katana (C-FPMC) out of National Flyers (I don't know if they're still there or not).

I'm interested in becoming a controller with VATCAN under the Toronto FIR because I'm looking to go back to school to go to Seneca for their Aviation Operations/Management program to eventually become a dispatcher.

Anyway, if you can tell me who I should e-mail to get the ball rolling on this, please let me know.

Thanks

~Steve

Removed
Posted
Posted

Stephen, when you have a moment, please contact the VATSIM Membership Department at http://membership.vatsim.net. Thank you.