You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Unicom Communications

Pete  Locascio 1183780

Pete  Locascio 1183780
Posted
Posted

Is there a way to communicate with other aircraft or to broadcast on Unicom 122.8?

Pete Locascio

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted

Yes, tune your radio to 122.80. Unicom is text only and is range limited based on your altitude.

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

Pete  Locascio 1183780
Posted
Posted

Ok, I meant voice communications, not text. It would be nice to have that capability, but it's not really all that important. Thanks.

Pete Locascio

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
Ok, I meant voice communications, not text. It would be nice to have that capability, but it's not really all that important. Thanks.

There's a discussion going on here about a potential addition of voice to UNICOM (kinda) in the future. But for now, it's still text only...

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Voice is not banned, and can be used freely, as we have discussed and agreed numerous times before. vPilot may not have the physical capability, but lots of us are using voice on 122.800 across the virtual skies using other clients.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
Voice is not banned

Actually, it quite clearly is:

Voice UNICOM is not presently an option

Just because a group of people ignore a posted VATSIM FAQ/policy about UNICOM doesn't override it.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

Actually Sean im not sure what discussions you mention that somehow "allowed" it, all the ones i remember seem to have ended with the VATGOV's basically saying the areas that were doing it were basically operating outside of network policy. that does not make something all of a sudden "acceptable". no they never said it was permanently banned, simply its not currently supported by the network.

until the network changes its policies, nothing has changed on that issue, which Brad links to above.

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted
simply its not currently supported by the network.

That's it, and using a voice room does not relieve one of using text. So basically those using a voice room have a chat room set up, not a UNICOM channel.

Kyle Ramsey