You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

questions about unicom

Stacy Krahn 907079

Stacy Krahn 907079
Posted
Posted

Okay, just finish my P-1 recently, and I learned for the first time about this rile

paragraph B.7 of the Code of conduct states:

“Pilots flying through uncontrolled airspace should set frequency to 122.80 or other designated UNICOM frequency until they come under Air Traffic Control coverage.”

But, no where does it specifies the following:

In the case of Brazil and South Africa, different frequencies are used because 122.800 is a frequency used by ATC in those countries and published charts and procedures detail 122.800 for use. The designated UNICOM frequency in Brazil is 123.450, in South Africa it is 124.800.

If anyone looks, they will find I have lots of flight hours, and go in and out of Brazil and South Africa several times. Why is this information not actually available?

86648.png]

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
Why is this information not actually available?

It is available - from at least the source you quoted (guessing this one).

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

As Bradley says, it is available, both from the post quoted and also on the VATBRZ website: http://www.vatsim.net.br/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=386&Itemid=366

I couldn't find a similar reference on the VATSAF website, however, and I would agree with you that it should be on there.

Vice President, Pilot Training

Stacy Krahn 907079
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I know about the Brazil web site, but what about Africa?

I'm saying, why isn't it in the actual vatsim regs?

86648.png]

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted
I'm saying, why isn't it in the actual vatsim regs?

It is in the regs. The CoC says you must monitor 122.8 or the local Unicom frequency if different.

If a division/VACC wishes to use a Unicom frequency other than 122.8, that is a local decision. If every local procedure was included in the CoC, it would be ten miles long.

Part of your flight planning should involve checking the local regulations for the country you are flying to.

Personally, whenever I have flown to Brazil/SA, I have always kept 122.8 on box 2 as well to take in to account the fact that some people will not have looked up/remembered to change the frequency.

Stacy Krahn 907079
Posted
Posted

Well, I suppose 10 miles of docs would be tough reading.

Well, I plan on including 122.8 in the monitoring as well.

I was looking thru the South Africa docs and nothing about the freq. Is that for the rest of Africa or all, the 124.800?

86648.png]

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

Just South Africa (i.e. the Johannesburg and Cape Town FIRs). I agree with you that it should be in the VATSAF docomeentation, but you'd have to ask them about that!

For the rest of Africa the usual 122.8 applies, though strictly speaking in many parts of the continent you should also do the IATA IFBP (In-Flight Broadcast Procedure) which technically should be on 126.9. Again, I'd monitor both 122.8 and 126.9 (and to be honest on VATSIM you're probably as well to make the transmission on 122.8 ).

Roger Hanson
Posted
Posted

I seem to remember that South Africa changed to 122.80?

Regards, Rog Hanson