You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

When is the next group mentoring session for VATSIM UK?

Lewis Corcoran

Lewis Corcoran
Posted
Posted

I'm wondering when the next group mentoring session is for VATSIM UK?

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Lewis, check with UK. You will be unable to progress if you do not take initiative on your own. You won't make it very far if someone has to hold your hand through the entire process.

Lewis Corcoran
Posted
Posted

I've posted a ticket with the helpdesk and there weren't very helpful who should i email next or check?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

the helpdesk is not the place to go for this. follow the advice youve been given. head on over to the VATUK site. they have a forum you can also use there for that

as Josh and others have already mentioned, your training is completely dependent on you

Lewis Corcoran
Posted
Posted

thanks for all your help but i can't find any emails or information on the website where i can find when the next group session is

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
the helpdesk is not the place to go for this. follow the advice youve been given. head on over to the VATUK site. they have a forum you can also use there for that

• 1 month later...
Alex Beard
Posted
Posted

Lewis, for your information, the next group session will be on 20th October but as of yet I don't believe it has been opened to students. You should receive an email when the session has been opened to you as it depends on your position on the waiting list. also, community.vatsim-uk.co.uk is the VATUK forums, and the group obs sessions can be found here rts.vatsim-uk.co.uk by clicking on bookings calendar. Hope this helps.

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted

I'm sorry, but I have never heard of a group mentoring session that you have to signup for. I mean I know what a group session is, of course. But from these posts I get the impression that it is something official and I have never heard of that. Not being from the UK and all, could someone please explain that to me? I appreciate it, thank you.

Ira Robinson

Alex Beard
Posted
Posted

In the UK, the group session is the first part (so to speak) of our OBS->S1 course in which we go through the basic setup and use of Euroscope so that when a student then has a one-to-one session with a mentor they already know the basics.

Alex

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted
In the UK, the group session is the first part (so to speak) of our OBS->S1 course in which we go through the basic setup and use of Euroscope so that when a student then has a one-to-one session with a mentor they already know the basics.

Alex

I see. Can I ask another question? The original post was dated Sept 11th. Your answer was that the next cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] is on Oct 20th, and that there is apparently a waiting list for that cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]. Is that common? I mean was there a cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] between these two dates that Lewis missed? I guess I don't understand how the program works, but you have got me interested now because holding one introductory cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] for a number of students certainly seems to make more sense than holding numerous one-on-one cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es to reach the same result.

How much more can you tell me about how this works, because I am sure it can't be as simple as scheduling a cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] a couple of times a month to get the new students up and running.

Thanks!!

Ira Robinson

Alex Beard
Posted
Posted

Alex

I see. Can I ask another question? The original post was dated Sept 11th. Your answer was that the next cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] is on Oct 20th, and that there is apparently a waiting list for that cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]. Is that common? I mean was there a cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] between these two dates that Lewis missed? I guess I don't understand how the program works, but you have got me interested now because holding one introductory cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] for a number of students certainly seems to make more sense than holding numerous one-on-one cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es to reach the same result.

How much more can you tell me about how this works, because I am sure it can't be as simple as scheduling a cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] a couple of times a month to get the new students up and running.

Thanks!!

I hadn't seen the forum post prior to my first reply but there had been sessions before the one I posted about however that is when the next one is scheduled for. There has been a period where there was a lack of these group sessions but mentor availability has improved so they are running more frequent than before. Essentially - there are four mentors present (myself being one of a few that attend as and when we can) that 'host' the session and run through the information we plan to cover as a group. The group sessions are open to a maximum of 20 people. I'm not sure on the numbers but it is open first to people who have been waiting the longest then, as days go past with positions still vacant, it is opened to more students who have been waiting less time to begin their training until the session is full. After attendance to this session, students then have 1 or 2 sessions individually with mentors before being awarded their S1 rating.

Hope this makes some sense, if not I will be around on the VATUK TS this evening and will try to explain slightly better for anyone interested.

Alex

Alex Beard
Posted
Posted

Glad to see you on the next session Lewis!

Alex