You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Feature Request | Add "F" for Flight Level in Tags

Matthew Moy 1288933

Matthew Moy 1288933
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello,

In Real World on the British Radar System when the aircraft is at a Flight Level there is an F before the Flight Level, so if the aircraft is FL60 it would be F60; Like the "A" for altitude in EuroScope, could we have the "F" for Flight Level?

Thanks,

Matthew M.

Edited by Guest

Mark-Julius Pikat
Posted
Posted
Hello,

In Real World on the Radar System when the aircraft is at a Flight Level there is an F before the Flight Level, so if the aircraft is FL60 it would be F60; Like the "A" for altitude in EuroScope, could we have the "F" for Flight Level?

Thanks,

Matthew M.

I guess this feature can be easily added, however it really depends on radar system and how it is displayed in each country.

spacer.png

Mark-Julius Pikat
Chief Executive Officer of VACC Estonia mark-julius.pikat [at] estvacc.org
Head of VATEUD Examining Program mark-julius.pikat [at] vateud.net

Pavel Brodsky
Posted
Posted

Lets make it optional. For example our real systems do not use that.

Pavel

Pavel Brodsky

VACC-CZ

• 3 weeks later...
Kieran Samuel Cross
Posted
Posted
In Real World on the British Radar System

This is very much controller specific.

Controllers in the Swanwick (Mil) control room operate with solely numbers (even for altitudes), eg 360 or 036. This is the same to most military air traffic systems.

IIRC from a Swanwick (Civ) controller, Mil and Civ rooms are the same systems, in that the military controller and civ controller see the same thing (just on different scale).

I know, that controllers can and often do setup their own displays for their session, so this may be a thing which a controller (or a team) regularly do when controlling a position (for example, EGCC_APP).

Kind Regards,

Kieran Cross,

28.png

Nick Botica
Posted
Posted

Isn't that already an option? If you untick the Show A for Altitude option doesn't it turn into a 'F'?

Matthew Moy 1288933
Posted
Posted
Isn't that already an option? If you untick the Show A for Altitude option doesn't it turn into a 'F'?

No, it doesn't.

Kieran Samuel Cross
Posted
Posted

Just off topic, you have such a cool certificate number .

Kind Regards,

Kieran Cross,

28.png

Nick Botica
Posted
Posted

Just off topic, you have such a cool certificate number .

Oh cheers.... I worked hard for it haha

Nick Botica
Posted
Posted
Hello,

In Real World on the British Radar System when the aircraft is at a Flight Level there is an F before the Flight Level, so if the aircraft is FL60 it would be F60; Like the "A" for altitude in EuroScope, could we have the "F" for Flight Level?

Thanks,

Matthew M.

Do you have any coding experience?

Is it an 'A' below transition or just an 'F' above?

You could adapt my code to make a simple plugin:

// Above transition, e.g. 12,950 feet
if (RadarTarget.GetPosition().GetFlightLevel() >= GetTransitionAltitude() - 50) {
snprintf(sItemString, 16, "F");
} else {
snprintf(sItemString, 16, "A");
}

https://github.com/nickbotica/SkylinePlugIn

Matthew Moy 1288933
Posted
Posted
Hello,

Thanks,

Matthew M.

if (RadarTarget.GetPosition().GetFlightLevel() >= GetTransitionAltitude() - 50) {
} else {
}

Hello,

I would like to have coding experience and know how to code in C++, but I don't..

Kieran Samuel Cross
Posted
Posted
Hello,

Thanks,

Matthew M.

} else {
}

Hello,

I would like to have coding experience and know how to code in C++, but I don't..

Try learning on the internet, this could be a great yet simple project for you..

Kind Regards,

Kieran Cross,

28.png

Matthew Moy 1288933
Posted
Posted
Try learning on the internet, this could be a great yet simple project for you..

I did actually once tried to learn this code, but I couldn't do it. I don't like how C++ is, I prefer PHP

Kieran Samuel Cross
Posted
Posted

I did actually once tried to learn this code, but I couldn't do it. I don't like how C++ is, I prefer PHP

Well there's your problem, summed up in three short phrases.

once tried
I couldn't do it
I don't like how C++ is

Put some time and some effort in it, you might have learnt PHP, but that shouldn't affect your stance on C++ .

Kind Regards,

Kieran Cross,

28.png