You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

3.2a(r12) Improvement on simulator route following

Michael Pike

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

The ES website says that r12 contains 'Improvement on simulator route following' but is there any more information on this?

The reason I ask is that when using the simulator for VFR circuit driving with light aircraft, the route following has changed and become more or less impossible to use for this purpose.

In r10, traffic flying in the circuit at 65 kts recognises a waypoint about 0.8 nm before it and turns to intercept the next leg of the route. Thus a predefined route can be used to send aircraft around a visual circuit. I have scenario files which make use of this and it works very well. In r12, the aircraft seem to want to turn to the next leg 3 miles or so before the waypoint making it impractical to use for tight circuits. I've had to revert to r10.

Also the algorithm for intercepting the final approach track seems to have changed. In r10, small slow moving aircraft would land or touch and go successfully from about 2 miles out. In r12 they need to be at least 3 miles out which is well outside the ATZ. Also the status updates to "on a touch and go" initially but then changes to "on a heading" and the plane continues on the heading or turns back round to the 60 degree intercept heading to have another go - all without any pseudo-pilot input. In other words r12 offers the option for land and vacate or touch and go etc even when it can't achieve it - this is very confusing for the blip driver.

By the way the version.txt system still tells me I have the latest version when I'm using r10. I think I'll have to stick with r10 for now.

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Jonas Kuster
Posted
Posted
By the way the version.txt system still tells me I have the latest version when I'm using r10.
Only have a suggestions for this. Delete that file and it should be replaced correctly when running ES the next time.

Jonas Kuster
Network Supervisor
Leader Operation vACC Switzerland | vacc.ch @vaccswitzerland
GNG Support Team | gng.aero-nav.com
ES Plugin Developer | CCAMS

Jonas Kuster
Posted
Posted
By the way the version.txt system still tells me I have the latest version when I'm using r10.
I experienced now some issue with this as well. But on my computer the file stills tells me having r10 although I have r12.

But I think it has just been forgotten to be changed on the server.

Jonas Kuster
Network Supervisor
Leader Operation vACC Switzerland | vacc.ch @vaccswitzerland
GNG Support Team | gng.aero-nav.com
ES Plugin Developer | CCAMS

• 2 weeks later...
Gray Taylor 1041931
Posted
Posted

I am basically experiencing all of the simulator issues you listed here. The simulator in r12 is just plain broken, as far as I can tell. Not only do my airplanes fly the strange approaches you mention, frequently they break off the approach in the last mile and switch to AHDG mode. When they do land, they vacate the runway violently at a non-existent exit point and at dangerously high speeds.

CAF838_CF_124_A_4720_9_FCC_AF62_EFF8_ED4_E.png

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

Yes. I've seen those rapid exits across the gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] straight to the endpoint of the runway exit, even going past other runway exits. I can't get a reproducible case though, it's rather random. It happened occasionally in r10 as well but less dramatic!

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK