You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Improvement of selective sector activation

Jonas Kuster

Jonas Kuster
Posted
Posted

In the complex environment of LSZH, there are more and more determination whether a sector should be active or not depending on either a departure or an arrival runway. Currently, ES does not distinguish between arrival and departure runways for this matter. If a runway is named in the active section and either is selected as arrival or departure runway, the sector is activated.

I request to allow specific activations of sectors depending on the runway use (arrival or departure). This could be easily achieved by allowing a small extension of the syntax: ACTIVE:ZZZZ:01R:0, ACTIVE:ZZZZ:01R:1. Adding an additional argument (0 or 1) would follow the syntax already used in the *.rwy file and at the same time allow backwards compatibility to older sector files (missing the new argument would activate the sector for any selection of the runway use).

Jonas Kuster
Network Supervisor
Leader Operation vACC Switzerland | vacc.ch @vaccswitzerland
GNG Support Team | gng.aero-nav.com
ES Plugin Developer | CCAMS

Pavel Brodsky
Posted
Posted

When talking about that, I would also like one feature: more sector colours

Example from real LKPR. All talking from approach perspective: when there is only APP activated, the whole TMA is dark blue = I am the owner. When the DEP is activated, the area where DEP and ARR sectors are vertically divided (eg. DEP GND till FL125 and ARR FL125 and higher), this area is light blue (both for APP and for DEP controllers). The area which is DEP only (ground till upper TMA boundary) is dark blue for DEP (= he is the owner) and light green for APP (=absolutely prohibited). So they use three colours: dark blue = I am the owned from ground till upper boundary, light green = probihited for me, light blue = I have just some vertical portion of this airspace.

Now in Euroscope we can have it either owned or not-owned coloured, nothing else. Few more colours would be great.

Pavel

Pavel Brodsky

VACC-CZ

Juha Holopainen
Posted
Posted

Instead of "ACTIVE:::[0/1]" as suggested by Jonas, I propose the following:

"ACTIVE:::"

For backward compatibility the old "ACTIVE::" syntax should also be supported.

In the proposed syntax, for example "ACTIVE:ZZZZ:01R:01L" would activate the sector only if 01R is active for departures AND 01L active for arrivals. "*" would be used for any (or no) runway, so "ACTIVE:ZZZZ:*:01L" would activate the sector when 01L is active for arrivals regardless of departure runways.

For more flexibility, the syntax could even be extended to allow runway lists, e.g. "ACTIVE:ZZZZ:01L:01L,01R" activating the sector when 01L is active for departures and both 01L and 01R are active for arrivals...