You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Upgrade to 8.40 and now it won't start

Peter Larsen 885332

Peter Larsen 885332
Posted
Posted

So i did an upgrade from 8.20 to 8.40 with the installer and now it can''t start, nothing happens "zero" "nada" and i triesd to get the installer from their site (x-plane.org) but that don't work (it appears not to be a file).

So do i wait for next update? as far as i know you can't get a 8.50 beta installer.

Help much appreciated.

I really would like to fly again .

3500.png

Ben Supnik
Posted
Posted

Hi,

What happens when you double-click X-Plane 840? What OS are you using? What version of the installer did you use to update? If you remove XSB does it go away?

In the future please email X-Plane Tech Support (info at x-plane.com) - Randy can help you resolve your upgrade problems. But I will help you iron out this one.

*Cheers*

Ben

Peter Larsen 885332
Posted
Posted

1) Nothing happens .

2) Mac OSX.

3) Installer Machintosh 108, tried to get Installer 110 but it don't appear a a file atleast Mac won't recognize it as a file and i tried downloading it several times but the same thing.

4) Nope.

Thank you for reminding me of support , i shall remember that, but maybe other people experience the same and then they could find some help in this thread.

3500.png

Ben Supnik
Posted
Posted

Hi,

The problem is that the older installer (108) didn't set your file permissions properly.

The simplest thing to do is to (1) delete the 5 apps (x-plane, worldmaker, planemaker, briefer, airfoil maker), then use installer 110 to re-install, fetching the 5 apps correctly.

Now regarding installer 110, it's available as a ZIP file, right? What program did you use to unzip it?

*Cheers*

Ben

Peter Larsen 885332
Posted
Posted

I have now tried to downod it again several times and used different unzippers and also tried download it on Windows but its the same problem, it seems as though the file is corrupted.

it says no archive and no file etc.

3500.png

Ben Supnik
Posted
Posted

Hi,

InsMac110.zip should be 1,782,484 bytes. If it is not, then your download failed - please try again, or use a different browser or refresh the download.

If it is that long, use BOMArchiveHelper (the native OS X) tool to unzip it, and it should work.

*cheers*

Ben

Peter Larsen 885332
Posted
Posted

It works now .

I had to download it everal times but i used stuffit expander.

That is quite an improvement from 8.20, 8.40 is much faster now.

3500.png

Ben Supnik
Posted
Posted

Yeah -- if you hadn't upgraded in a while, you missed 830, which is where all that speed comes from. StuffIt Expander is the bane of our existence - it comes in multilple versions and each one does its own weird thing to zip files.

For future reference: starting with 840 you can just pick an update button in the about box, so when 850 comes out it'll be a lot simpler.

*CheerS*

Ben