You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATUSA Controller Training Academy Now Live

Kyle Ramsey 810181

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

The VATUSA Staff is pleased to announce that as of April 17 the Training Academy officially opened its doors for business to new controllers of the USA Division. The Academy, which is staffed with a team of Mentors and Instructors, will teach students the basics of Air Traffic Control including ARSC radar client configuration and usage, Clearance Delivery, Ground Operations, and Tower Control. Upon graduating from the Academy, the trainee will earn the rating of Senior Student and will then join an ARTCC within VATUSA to further their training and skills. The new VRC Client will be added later.

New controllers will automatically be added into the Academy and will receive further instructions upon p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing the Observer/Basic ATC test with an 80% or higher. It should be noted that new student controllers recently joining VATUSA prior to the Academy opening are not permitted to transfer at this time, but is something the VATUSA Training Department will be looking at in the future.

Jeff Turner

VATUSA1

Kyle Ramsey

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Congratulations on getting the Academy up and running! I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

Bravo!!! A serious golf clap to everyone involved in making the Academy possible. This is a HUGE step in the right direction for VATUSA. Congrats guys!

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Ethan Stein 890841
Posted
Posted

Congratulations! A big step for VATUSA.

Terry Kocher 919807
Posted
Posted

Congratz VATUSA, this is going to do wonders for our community of controllers!

pilot.gif

3712.png

Alex Goldstein 857161
Posted
Posted

Not sure if I am missing something here but where is this "academy?" Is it all based on the use of Sweatbox or is it at a particular ARTCC?

Alex Goldstein

VFR Trips - Coming Soon

The first online community specifically geared towards the common private pilot. Everything ranging from published VFR (Visual-Flight-Rules) trips to an online aviation community.

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

Based out of sweatbox at the fictional KUSA airport, if I'm not mistaken.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Denzel Massey 922674
Posted
Posted

This is very Great Guys. I just wish i could get in the Academy.

Josh Hjemvick 811983
Posted
Posted
Bravo!!! A serious golf clap to everyone involved in making the Academy possible. This is a HUGE step in the right direction for VATUSA. Congrats guys!

CMEL.CSEL.IA.AGI.CFI.CFII.MEI.CRJ2.FO.Furloughed

Part of the Acey 80

811983.png

Brandon Grchan 925585
Posted
Posted

Me three

Isaac Niedrauer 947516
Posted
Posted

Me three

Me Four !

Clear Skies,

Isaac Niedrauer

Jon Standley 845310
Posted
Posted
This is very Great Guys. I just wish i could get in the Academy.

Denzel:

The Academy is for new students just starting out. I see you have 200 hours online as a controller so as long as you keep working hard, you'll be beyond that in no time

Jon Standley

Private Pilot ASEL/AMEL/IFR/LTA

Logan Gloss-Ivory 812647
Posted
Posted (edited)

[information out of date]

Edited by Guest

Logan Gloss

Kevin Finch
Posted
Posted

So what's my next step?

I completed the student test long ago; never obtained training to advance; never controlled.

Kevin Kan
Posted
Posted

If it was before April 17, you won't be in academy. In that case you should join a ARTCC, from there the depending on the ARTCC the ATM or whoever will usaully send you a welcome email.

The local ARTCC then provides training and you control there, advance there etc.

If you joined after April 17, you should be in the academy automatically.

1723.png

atc2o.png

Like my GOAT? Too bad, it's mine.

My airline flying at the speed of normal

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

If you are not part of the academy you won't see it; there is no public portal into it.

Kyle Ramsey

Steve Park 822521
Posted
Posted

OK, I can see a problem. I, like I am sure many others, signed up a long time ago with an ARTCC to control, but never received ANY instructions. I was booted for lack of control time at the ARTCC. I am retired, have ton's of time, I am a real world instrument rated pilot and would love to give back, but it seem's that unless I pick an active center, will be the same old thing, hoping that someone in that center will take the time to train......is this correct?

Steve Park

3.png

Richard Green 810012
Posted
Posted

Steve -

At present as I understand it, hte Training Academy is only open to new controllers, you are still under the "old" system where you go to an ARTCC and get your training there.

You can always contact [email protected] and request some guidance.

At the end of the day its up to you to make yourself available and visible for the staff to be able to help you. If you don't make it known, some ARTCCs will tell you one time what how to get ahold of them and then you are left to do what you should do... some are more proactive.

I can understand your frustration but I gave you the best two suggestions I can think of.

Richard Green

VATSIM Supervisor

SB Testing & Support Team

VRC Testing & Support Team

Eric Adler 931784
Posted
Posted
I completed the student test long ago; never obtained training to advance; never controlled.

I'm in the same boat. Is there a way that we can at least observe the Academy or read the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated materials? (I attempted to observe a real controller once, but the available software isn't very intuitive). I would be willing to remove myself from VATUSA and rejoin it if possible...

Jason Sutton 879715
Posted
Posted

Let me try to shed some light on this subject. My decision not to allow controllers who joined the Division prior to the launch date (4/17) access into the Academy was to keep from overwhelming the Academy Staff. I am aware that there are quite a few S1 controllers out there that have yet to receive any type of training since joining VATUSA and this is something that I’m certainly hoping to amend. But I currently have a Staff of 12 individuals who are overseeing the lesson introduction and instruction and 5 individuals who are overseeing the Stage Check examinations, along with several that are on a standby status incase one of the active 12 or 5 are no longer able to provide their services. From looking at new controller averages from months past I had planned on an average between 30 and 35 new VATUSA students to come into the Academy for this first phase. As it stands now on the 10th day of the program being opened we already have a total of 33 students and this number continues to grow daily. Three weeks from now it’s possible that the current number will double and if that happens I might have to ask those Staff members on standby to come on up. I’m doing what I can to bring on more Staff members but that is a job within itself. Out of respect for the Managers and Training Administrators I did not require them to send me any Mentors and Instructors from their Centers to work at the Academy. I already knew that most of the Training Departments were stretched out with training and development and could not spare the resources. So I simply requested that they send me nominations for Academy Staff only if they could spare them. Fortunately I obtained enough with a few to spare to start this first phase, including several offers from VATUSA Senior Staff Members. I’m optimistic that as the individual training departments continue to grow with Staff the TA’s will have more to spare and as such the Academy Staff will continue to grow.

So until I know how this first phase is going to turn out, I cannot invite those S1 controllers who joined the Division prior to April 17th into the Academy. It may very well overwhelm the Staff and frankly it’s not a risk I’m willing to take just yet. My number one priority for the time being as USA3 is to ensure the future and success of this Academy, and that’s what I intend to do. All I ask is that you give the Staff and me some time to get the Academy completely off the ground. Since the Staff is working triple time it shouldn’t be too long. At that time I’ll work with the Managers and Training Administrators of each of the Centers to see what we can do about getting those controllers without any training into the Academy. As RG mentioned in his post above, feel free to contact me directly if you need any guidance or help with getting started.

Mario Lucero 955824
Posted
Posted

Just a suggestion: why not a waiting list for current controllers. As the picture becomes clearer, you can peel off that list as necessary. That way you have a way to determine who has requested it rather than open the floodgates at once...Perhaps it would even be fairer to place new signups on that list, but with some level of priority (take 3 new registrations for every prior controller)

Richard Green 810012
Posted
Posted

Mario thats a good idea, but one would hope that the INS staff at the ARTCCs would have them to the level they would leave the academy at before they would ever get a chance to go to the Academy.

The problem with taking older people is that we then would be denying NEW people the ability to join, and that would cause other networks to benefit.

If people currently are new but signed up before the Academy went live, or are older but never got any training... then I suggest you get with the INS/MEN staff at your ARTCC, if you don't get any good support, go to the ATM, and if that doesn't work contact your divisional director.

We are all here to make the experience as good as possible.

Richard Green

VATSIM Supervisor

SB Testing & Support Team

VRC Testing & Support Team

• 2 weeks later...
Eric Adler 931784
Posted
Posted

Ok, I understand all this, but I have a further problem. I took the Pilot/OBS test back on 2005-11-01 at 02:11:57 and got my 80%. I believe that at that time I had chosen ZNY. I have contacted the cheif of ZNY, he stated that he had no record of me. So I went to the VATUSA site and looked for the 'choose an ARTCC' page which apparently no longer exists, I then attempted a 'artcc transfer request', this failed with an error stating that I was not yet in an ARTCC, so I could not transfer. So how do I get training? Do I need to have someone force the database to put me into an ARTCC, or can I follow the new training system or am I SOL?

Kevin Kan
Posted
Posted
or am I SOL?

Pretty close. lol

No, you would have to contact VATUSA2 and have him "force" you into the database. His contact info can be found on vatusa.org

See you in NY soon hopefully.

1723.png

atc2o.png

Like my GOAT? Too bad, it's mine.

My airline flying at the speed of normal