You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Strange problem with FSX

Matt Andren 1310927

Matt Andren 1310927
Posted
Posted

Hey all,

I am having an unusual problem with FSX and I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations before I do a reinstall.

Warning slightly lengthy post please bear with me.

Also if this is in the wrong area, moderators please move to appropriate area.

I am running:

FSX

ASN

VPilot

FSUIPC

and other addons.

I have alot of payware planes, but only 1 payware airport I won in the Icy Hot Crossfire. I have updated many AFCADS and have been on VATSIM for about 2 years and have a bunch of hours. I have had very few CTD issues with FSX and at worse I have had it freeze and if I don't mess with anything usually catches back up with itself within a min or two at most.

I am primarily a USA flyer and tend to fly the east coast a lot without problems.

I first noticed the issue when doing a flight from KORD-KBOS maybe 3 weeks ago. Flight was fine but when I reached about TOD the ATC controller asked if I was paused. I replied I was not and still have visual on other traffic. He said I looked paused to him and I disconnected and tried to reconnect and it would not. I cannot remember if I finished the flight or not as I seem to remember other issues with my joystick functions so I think I just exited out.

I forgot about the issue and continued doing flights on VATSIM without issue. I remember doing the "Night into Newark event as it is logged with my VA and that flight was fine. Unfortunately for about the next 2 weeks I did not fly into the upper East coast (you will see why this is important) I flew into DCA a bunch, KPHL, and mainly southeast USA. Then Hurricane Matthew hit and I basically followed it for the entire time it was on the coast and this is when the problem started again. I did 34 logged VA VATSIM flights before I headed back toward KBOS and KJFK area for when the heavy rain from the hurricane started.

I was flying from DCA to KBOS and ATC was not on but I got a message from the Sup saying I was paused and again I was not. Again I logged off and relogged but wouldn't connect. Then I noticed some of my joystick buttons were not working. I logged off and quit sim.

So I started messing around at KJFK, KEWR, KLGA, KBOS, CYUL and other airports and this issue happens at all of them. However it is not a problem at KPHL. But if I fly from KPHL to KJFK about 1/2 way the issue starts. Hmmmm plot thickens.

If I start FSX with nothing else running and load at the mentioned airports this is what happens:

Sitting on runway for about 30 seconds every thing is fine. Then all my FSUIPC joystick and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned switches through FSUIPC stop working. I pull up the addon window and click FSUIPC, GSX, or the addon Manager and nothing happens. If I try to connect ASN it says waiting on sim. All [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignments through normal FSX switch [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignment work.

If I load FSX in a place that works and wait the 30ish seconds then go to the effected area the issue is immediate as soon as my plane loads at gate/rwy.

When I shut down sim (no matter now I close it) when this issue happens, I get an all white screen and at top it says Microsoft Flight Simulator X (Not Responding). I close it and it gives me the Not responding window and to close or wait for program.

I have scoured the internet for this time and have tried many of the fixes. I removed any programs I updated or installed around the time I think it started. No change.

I removed .cfg to allow FSX to create a new one. No change.

I deleted all temporary files in their respective directories. No change.

Deleted all saved flights. No change.

did the UIAutomationCore.DLL thing. No change.

Reinstalled Simconnect. No change

Reinstalled all drivers again. No change.

Updated everything that needed updating. No change.

Now Im kinda out of options for the CTP and I know (with my luck) my route will be over the region with this issue. KDFW-EHAM.

It seems to be a partial crash of FSX and it could be related to a scenery file being corrupt or something, but I have found nothing like this online.

It is like something only in the upper east coast of the USA is causing this issue and that leads me to think it is scenery related as I cannot recreate it anywhere else. I was even thinking of installed FSX into another place, grab the default scenery files and replace them to see if that helps. Kinda hard to map an area this large to see exactly where the problem exists or doesn't.

Worst case I can do a fresh install for the CTP but I am leaving that as a final option as it will be a huge pain in the rear.

This happens with all aircraft, default or installed/payware.

Anyone have any ides I'm an willing to try just about anything since the alternative is starting over.

I appreciate ant replies and will answer any questions any of you smart simmers may need.

PS When I do the log i get a "apphangb1" error and it is relating to FSX.exe.

Thanks.

Matt

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Weird stuff. I notice you suspect the scenery might be at fault, but you don't list any attempts of deactivating or uninstalling add-on sceneries in the area, might be worth a try. Perhaps also scenery-related software like GSX/AES, etc.

Matt Andren 1310927
Posted
Posted

I did disable and even remove any addons I had in the effected area. Could a single airport like I did do the KEWR addon for the night in Newark but it worked then. I will dig into that and remove any [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated files and see if that helps.

I will disable GSX and report back as I dont have AES.

Thanks.

Matt Andren 1310927
Posted
Posted

As an additional note if I do a flight in the "non" effected area the sim will close properly with no error.

I disabled GSX but did not uninstall yet and no change.

I will keep plodding along until I have to do the fresh install.

Matt.

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted

Hi Matt

I have had a similar problem in the UK in the past.

I deleted my FSX.cfg file and then restarted FSX and it rebuilt and no further problems.

Mark

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Matt Andren 1310927
Posted
Posted

Thanks,

I will try that again and see what happens. Thanks.

Matt Andren 1310927
Posted
Posted

Well,

I guess it wasn't meant to be fixed and I ended up removing all addons and FSX and starting with a fresh install, and what do you know problem gone.

At least I can confidently do the CTP now.

Thanks for the replies and probably does not hurt to do a fresh install once in a while.

Matt