You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Altitude on PFD shown differently to Controllers

Jack Jeffers 1371614

Jack Jeffers 1371614
Posted
Posted

Throughout most of my flights I do everything correctly, eg, QNH etc set right.

But when i takeoff and begin my departure i turn on AP and set it to FL65 (for example) but then i am at 4000 and the controller says im at 11000ft (from his screen)! I don't get this, what is going on!!!!

I fly a addon A320 with default A321 panel

I became suspicious and when i went offline VATSIM and flew in a 733 to see if it was just the A320. The 733 did the exact same thing and the PFD was very slowly going up. When i looked outside of the window when my PFD said 6000 it looked like (looking outside) FL200

Please calling for all help! I really need it...

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

screenshots will help, you can also press shift + Z to display the info in the sim to show what you are truly at

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Just a random thought... if your PFD was actually showing a little under 3500 meters, you'd be at about 11,000 feet. Likewise, a height of 6000 meters corresponds to about 20,000 feet.

Perhaps just an odd coincidence based on your examples? Perhaps your PFD's altitude units is set to meters (or metres? ) rather than feet?

Jack Jeffers 1371614
Posted
Posted
Just a random thought... if your PFD was actually showing a little under 3500 meters, you'd be at about 11,000 feet. Likewise, a height of 6000 meters corresponds to about 20,000 feet.

Perhaps just an odd coincidence based on your examples? Perhaps your PFD's altitude units is set to meters (or metres? ) rather than feet?

How would i then change it?

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted

Good call!

Mr.

VATSIM P2

• 2 weeks later...
Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

Wondering if this menu changes default cockpit altitude readouts.

Not having ever used default aircraft in FSX (Freeware addons maybe) I've never had the Units of measure set to anything other than Hybrid.

If I need Metres, I'll be in China, flying PMDG, Aerosoft, FSlabs etc.

Remember: In the real world, the only countries currently using Metric based flight levels (above transition altitude) are China, Mongolia and North Korea.

Russia, Belarus and (insert prefix here)istan use RVSM in feet above transition and metric only below transition level.

FSX.jpg

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

But don't forget that the Chinese apply CRVSM: Chinese RVSM! You cannot set the instructed level in meters in your cockpit. Instead, when flying in China, you need to look up the converted value in feet from a table and set it as feet on your flight guidance panel!

http://www.vatprc.net/index.php/en-chinese-rvsm

Chinese%20RVSM.jpg

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted

Are you using any 3rd party weather program?.

I've had issues with pilots not using real world weather and just creating their own which would be totally out of whack with the real world conditions, i.e. It's a clear day with high pressure in real life yet the pilot sets a stormy low pressure weather situation causing an error in altimeter readings.