You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Low speed formation flight?

Connor Yeatman 1371014

Connor Yeatman 1371014
Posted
Posted

I saw that you can't do a high speed formation flight without being a part of a VA.

Me and my friend was planing a low speed(C172s) formation flight to the "Never dull at Dulles" event. Is that possible without getting into trouble?

20.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted (edited)

not sure where you saw high speed, but speed has nothing to do with the regulation. you cant do military, doesnt matter how fast you are going.

Formation flying expressly for the purpose of simulating any military/paramilitary activity

you can do civi formation with no problem.

now, doing it during an event, thats another issue and probably not the best time to do a formation, but, if ATC accepts the request, have at it. nothing lost asking, worst they can do is deny the request and youll have to fly separately

Edited by Guest

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted

Not at all. With an event the size of that, you would never be allowed to do a formation flight. If there was no event, then go for it, but as far as i know you wouldnt be allowed to.

EDIT: Damn Ernesto... beat me to it

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
With an event the size of that, you would never be allowed to do a formation flight. If there was no event, then go for it, but as far as i know you wouldnt be allowed to.

"Never" is too strong a word here ... there are plenty of controllers that would have no problem handling a formation flight during an event. It depends on way too many factors to say it would never be allowed.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted
With an event the size of that, you would never be allowed to do a formation flight. If there was no event, then go for it, but as far as i know you wouldnt be allowed to.

"Never" is too strong a word here ... there are plenty of controllers that would have no problem handling a formation flight during an event. It depends on way too many factors to say it would never be allowed.

I've worked a flight of 6(!) VFR BE36 Bonanzas in during an FNO push. It's challenging, and yes they were required to delay for a bit by orbiting outside my Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B, but the resultant arrival sequence was pretty cool - B738, BE36, BE36, BE36, BE36, BE36, BE36, H/B772

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

Ryan Geckler
Posted
Posted

I'd allow it. But the second you screw it up, it's over

Ryan Geckler - GK | Former VATUSA3 - Division Training Manager

VATSIM Minneapolis ARTCC | FAA Miami ARTCC 

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted (edited)

True, I should have probably clarified what 'never' meant because we dont get the same volume of traffic down in NZ, i dont really have an idea of how much traffic a FNO gets, if it was a SNO down in New Zealand, I would allow it. In fact, it would be quite fun!

Edited by Guest

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted

True, I should have probably clarified what 'never' meant because we dont get the same volume of traffic down in NZ, i dont really have an idea of how much traffic a FNO gets, if it was a SNO down in New Zealand, I would allow it. In fact, it would be quite fun.

EDIT: Posted twice, my fault!

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Shouldn't we first ask two questions;

What cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] Airspace (and which country)

What flight rules (VFR or IFR)

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Connor Yeatman 1371014
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all your replys. To answer your question, Sean, It will be VFR from Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] E though Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] G and into Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B Dulles. I thought that the "Never dull at Dulles" and we might make it "not dull" for the controllers.

20.png

Connor Yeatman 1371014
Posted
Posted

I'll go ahead and contact Washington DC ARTCC just to make sure.

20.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

they wont be able to explicitly tell you ahead of time if youll get it as its all going to depend on the traffic situation at the time during the event. if they can fit your request in, youll get it (you dont need to request anything if departing from uncontrolled airfield and while out of controlled airspace (the Bravo for example).

when you are ready to enter the airspace, make the call, theyll either have ya orbit, deny it for a bit and ask you call back again, or youll get it right there.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Andrew, to answer your question, Friday Night Operations (FNO) is typically a 4-5 hour event every Friday evening in the states. during the middle 75% of the event, [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming a major Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airport is in use (typically the case), the airport/ is seeing 60+ operations per hour, often more than the real world guys.

For that reason, Connor, Ernesto is exactly right. You'll need to call the controller when you're getting ready to enter the airspace. If they can accommodate, they will, else likely have you remain outside the airspace until they can. Based on historical traffic levels, you are most likely to get in with relative ease during the first and last hour of the event; you may want to plan accordingly. If you try to do it in the middle, you may be circling for a few hours....

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted
Andrew, to answer your question, Friday Night Operations (FNO) is typically a 4-5 hour event every Friday evening in the states. during the middle 75% of the event, [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming a major Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airport is in use (typically the case), the airport/ is seeing 60+ operations per hour, often more than the real world guys.

Ooh! Would like to see that down in NZ!!!!! Whenever i log onto a center position, i never get more than maybe 2-3 guys in a single hour!

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

• 2 weeks later...
Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

If you use the correct phraseology for your request (this can be different from one region to another), confidently on the radio, ATC should handle it like the real world. Just do it right.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015