You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Question re: Visibility and/or sky conditions

Bahaeddine El-Zarif

Bahaeddine El-Zarif
Posted
Posted

Hello there,

I have been trying vATIS to find out that it doesnt really say "CAVOK" when there is no clouds or the visibility.

Bahaeddine

Joshua Black
Posted
Posted

You'd probably have to edit the text and change it to "CAV OK." (Make it two words)

Joshua Black

Bahaeddine El-Zarif
Posted
Posted

Josh,

Do you mean like create a contraction for it ?

What about the visibility?

You'd probably have to edit the text and change it to "CAV OK." (Make it two words)

Joshua Black
Posted
Posted

Sorry, my mistake. That won't work.

I'm not so sure there's a work around for that...

Joshua Black

Bahaeddine El-Zarif
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all of your help Josh.

Sorry, my mistake. That won't work.

I'm not so sure there's a work around for that...

Bahaeddine El-Zarif
Posted
Posted

Update: My problem with vATIS is that it skips the visibility and sky conditions when it's CAVOK.

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted

Perhaps that's by design? If an aerodrome is CAVOK they replaces visibility and sky conditions.

Mr.

VATSIM P2

Bahaeddine El-Zarif
Posted
Posted
Perhaps that's by design? If an aerodrome is CAVOK they replaces visibility and sky conditions.

Lindsey,

When it's CAVOK, it does not even say CAVOK at all, and when it's not it skips the visibility.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I was waiting for the developer to reply, but... Remember that vATIS was developed with the USA in mind. USA METARs do not use CAVOK. Since he has already stated that he does not have time/desire to further develop vATIS for non-USA locations, it would be up to the developer to consider if he wants to add an allowance for CAVOK (or determine if he wants to further develop vATIS for non-USA locations).

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Bahaeddine El-Zarif
Posted
Posted

Thank you Don. I forgot to mention that I came across that post saying it was for US airports. However, I find it to be the most realistic ATIS system on VATSIM. Shame it's not going to be developed further.

I was waiting for the developer to reply, but... Remember that vATIS was developed with the USA in mind. USA METARs do not use CAVOK. Since he has already stated that he does not have time/desire to further develop vATIS for non-USA locations, it would be up to the developer to consider if he wants to add an allowance for CAVOK (or determine if he wants to further develop vATIS for non-USA locations).