You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Looking for a Christian VA

Connor Yeatman 1371014

Connor Yeatman 1371014
Posted
Posted

Hello everyone. If this is in the wrong place, please move it. I'm still kinda new to the form

I am thinking about joining a VA. I would, as my first pick, any VA that has a Christian foundation. If you know any VA that have a Christian base, you can say below or PM me if need be.

If it matters, I'm about to turn 15 and my sim is X-Plane 10

Thanks.

20.png

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

I don't think there are any. VATSIM is very non-religious. I haven't heard of anything on VATSIM with a religious base behind it.

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

And what would the difference be anyway...? Being able to fly higher maybe?

New York ARTCC

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
And what would the difference be anyway...? Being able to fly higher maybe? :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

none to my knowledge. as was stated above, VATSIM is very neutral grounds when it comes to religion, politics, etc..

I do remember once seeing a group on FSEconomy with a few pilots simulating the flights done for priests in the real world. was a small group of only a couple people, dont think they are around anymore.

nothing stopping you from creating one though! simply find a group of like minded individuals to help get ya goin. if your goal is to be able to converse about the gospels all while enjoying virtual aviation like everyone else, you just might find a few folks also interested in that, certainly would be unique thats for sure.

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Connor,

Excellent question, but as you can see, there really isn't a VA that I know of that is Christian oriented. You don't necessarily have to be in a VA to simulate such flights, though. Missionary Aviation Fellowship is a real world organization that fits your description.

https://www.maf.org/

Not sure what their entire fleet is, but I know they have several Quest Kodiaks...available as a payware from Lionheart...at their disposal. Very visible in Australia and Indonesia, which is surprising, to me at least, as their US Headquarters is just up the road from me in Nampa, Idaho, USA.

Here's the Wiki article about them (complete fleet info is in there, but remember...it's "Wiki".)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Aviation_Fellowship

Doesn't say what callsign or ICAO they use, but I would go with MAF for the ICAO and "Mission Flight" for the callsign until you find something definitive.

Free flight it or build your own VA, [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming a Christian oriented VA would not be counter to the "apolitical" charter of VATSIM.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Connor Yeatman 1371014
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for your answers. What I meant was to do basic airliner ops but the pilots are mostly Christian. Like Alaska airlines in the real world. It didn't need to be a Christian mission ops. Maybe some time soon I'll make one.

20.png

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

I don't know if there's any way to tell that. I can tell you that zero VAs ask for "religion" when joining.

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted
Thank you all for your answers. What I meant was to do basic airliner ops but the pilots are mostly Christian. Like Alaska airlines in the real world. It didn't need to be a Christian mission ops. Maybe some time soon I'll make one.

Alaska airlines pilot are mostly...what?, I'm honestly confused as to what your angle is here?.

If you're not interested in 'Christian orintated mission' flights and only care about the members religious orientation then I believe this thread needs to be locked before it gets messy.

Each to their own but as someone has already said religious belief discrimination has no place in our hobby so a 'you have to be Christian to join' VA in my opinion is a bad idea.

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
Each to their own but as someone has already said religious belief discrimination has no place in our hobby so a 'you have to be Christian to join' VA in my opinion is a bad idea.

VATSIM does not discriminate in any way based off gender, religion, nationality, ethnicity, etc. A VA with this base/requirement would likely be shut down (or completely not supported by VATSIM).

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

not sure where you got the info about Alaska Airlines as well, but guarantee you thats wrong, it also would not be allowed by US law in the real world to discriminate your employees or applicants. there is no way for Alaska Air or any company in the US to filter its employees by religion or much of anything else. I do know the airline gives prayer cards with its meals, but one cant [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume they would change their hiring practices based on that, which again would be illegal to do anyway

i do remember a myth on the net that airlines would not pair pilots of the same religion based on something on the Rapture or something. this is a myth, nothing more and not practiced.

Matt Booker
Posted
Posted

I've never seen this question asked before so I'm curious.

Why is this a preference?

Matt Booker
VATSIM Supervisor | Team 2 Lead

unnamed.png.9c373918856698c30d9103fb632eabff.png[email protected]

Colin Schoen
Posted
Posted

No VA advertises this so it would be difficult to tell. I think you will find you enjoy flying with the other members regardless of their religious orientation as it really shouldn't affect the quality of the simulation.

Welcome to the network.

Colin Schoen

VATSIM Senior Network Supervisor

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted
not sure where you got the info about Alaska Airlines as well, but guarantee you thats wrong, it also would not be allowed by US law in the real world to discriminate your employees or applicants. there is no way for Alaska Air or any company in the US to filter its employees by religion or much of anything else. I do know the airline gives prayer cards with its meals, but one cant [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume they would change their hiring practices based on that, which again would be illegal to do anyway

i do remember a myth on the net that airlines would not pair pilots of the same religion based on something on the Rapture or something. this is a myth, nothing more and not practiced.

yaaa, I'm not sure about the past but I've been flying Alaska for like 15-20 years (live in Pacific North West) and I've never been given a prayer card. I would feel pretty awkward getting one even though I have a Christian background and I would feel disgusted for someone of another religion being given one (not to mention the "shoved down your throat innuendo"). I'd bet there are as many practicing Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs, and Buddhists, as there are Christians in the flight deck of Alaska Air or any North American carrier for that matter (maybe not Mexico but I'm sure there's a good mix). And no I'm not interested in debating those facts (which I haven't claimed to be facts) as that would take away from my point that it's not relevant.

[CoC violation removed - 810181]

Mr.

VATSIM P2

• Board of Governors
Tim Barber
Posted
Posted

Hi all....I don't read that the OP was suggesting that RW Alaska Airlines only has Christian pilots. I believe what he was saying was that he is looking for a specific subset of our members that would like to form together to fly a VA based on a airline such as Alaska...rather than the missionary type flying that was suggested.

TB

Tim Barber

VATSIM President

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

I still don't get how someone would not want to fly with another person because they are of a different religion, especially virtually.

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted

I'm seeing the potential for this becoming very ugly. My suggestion would be to lock the thread before it becomes ugly. The fact that it has 15 replies in the space of 21 hours says a lot.

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

Connor Yeatman 1371014
Posted
Posted
Hi all....I don't read that the OP was suggesting that RW Alaska Airlines only has Christian pilots. I believe what he was saying was that he is looking for a specific subset of our members that would like to form together to fly a VA based on a airline such as Alaska...rather than the missionary type flying that was suggested.

TB

Yes!!!! Exactly I meant. Just couldn't get it on paper.

I can see this thread is not going the way I thought it would go we I first posted it. I meant it to be a friendly discussion and me finding more people of my faith. I never meant it to go in the way of this, talking about stuff in the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] that the people now cannot change or never had a part in. If it keeps going this way, I'll be contacting a mod. to close this topic.

Please, be nice to other people no matter their faith.

20.png

Connor Yeatman 1371014
Posted
Posted
I still don't get how someone would not want to fly with another person because they are of a different religion, especially virtually.

I never said that! I just said the my first pick for a VA would be a Christian base to it. I would have no problem fly with other people as long as they don't use bad laguage and stuff like that. In fact, even if there is a VA that says that they are a "Christian VA" but uses laguage that makes me feal uncomfortable. But there is a VA that does not have the label "Christian" but make me feel at home, I would swich VA ASAP.

20.png

Colin Schoen
Posted
Posted

All good. We know what you meant. Good luck finding a suitable virtual airline.

Colin Schoen

Connor Yeatman 1371014
Posted
Posted
All good. We know what you meant. Good luck finding a suitable virtual airline.

Thank you. Seeing as if you are a mod, I hope that if things start getting dirty here you will close this topic ASAP.

20.png

Colin Schoen
Posted
Posted

I'm not a forum moderator, but I'm sure someone who is has an eye on it.

Colin Schoen

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

someone does

Kyle Ramsey

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hey Connor,

I am sorry to tell you something shocking: but even Christians use "bad language" from time to time, especially on the internet. On the other hand it may be a bit of prejudice that people in non-Christian VAs tend to use "bad language". And even if people used "bad language", it would be a good exercise to manage feelings about it and ignore those comments that you dislike. That's life, the world is not always as we wish it to be.

I really hope that you will find a nice VA that you feel comfortable flying for. Try them out, have a look at their forums to get an idea of how people are like there.

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted

I'm actually quite proud of us that we can have a discussion about this sort of topic and keep it friendly and rational. KOOTOS to everyone!

Any of the large established VA's are very professionally run (that doesn't mean they are strict on the flying aspect) such as Deltava.org or canadianxpress.ca ;there are others, but I've flown with both and they are both great communities to be a part of.

• Like 1

Mr.

VATSIM P2