You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Team Tahiti

Jackson Harding

Jackson Harding
Posted
Posted

Those who know me well will be aware I have a long term interest in controlling out in the South Pacific. To date we've tried a lot, but we've never gotten it up and running on a long term sustainable basis.

Time for another try. Starting last night I will be loitering with intent on Tahiti Control (NTTT_FSS) as much as I can over the Christmas and New Year period. There is a lot of good flying and good controlling to be had in French Polynesia. Nice scenery, nice inter-island hops, great medium haul routes from Oz, NZ, Fiji, and Hawaii, and most of the main routes with full ATC coverage: NTAA_APP & towers at Papeete, Moorea, Bora Bora, Huahine, Raiatea, and Rangiaroa.

Come and join me. Either control one of these positions, or fly into, out of, or around the islands. Any VATPAC or VATNZ controller is able to open one of these positions. Fly your favourite jet into Papeete, or fire up a turbo prop, bug smasher, or even a helicopter (yes I'm talking to you Richards) for an inter-island jaunt.

Jackson

Chair Asia Pacific RCRP

vatsim_0.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Jackson,

yes, I saw you online last night and wondered, whether this was the first time that I see this sector up and running outside the week of Worldflight

You may want to consider using CPDLC for position reports etc.

Jackson Harding
Posted
Posted

Andreas,

I have controlled here a bit over the years, and I love the area having been there in real life too (my wife and I once spent a romantic 10 days on Bora Bora).

I often use CPDLC when controlling oceanic or the land based UIRs in Australian airspace. Right now I am more interestedi getting some traffic, voice alone is more than enough right now.

Jackson

Chair Asia Pacific RCRP

vatsim_0.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Jackson,

true, most pilots will use voice. When I control I make a point of always offering CPDLC (Hoppie ATC Client) and PDC (through a plug-in called "vSMR", discussed here on the forums).

I just stumbled upon a nice trip report from a guy renting a light aircraft in Tahiti. It is written in German language, but the photos and videos (at the end) say it all: http://www.flightforum.ch/board/index.php?/topic/97385-french-polynesia/

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted

Was wondering what you were doing up on Nadi on Wednesday night!

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo