You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Waypoints on approach

Conrad collinson

Conrad collinson
Posted
Posted

Hi guys, i have done many flights on Vatsim before but the other night on approaching EDDM I was flying my planned route and ATC said to fly to way point DM22 (or something like that) and i asked how i actually was supposed to do that as it wasn't part of my flight plan and he said just input it into your FMC...

I was flying in a PMDG 777-200 and couldn't work out how to input another way point into my current flight plan... If anyone can help it will be VERY greatly appreciated.

Conrad Collinson

Conrad Collinson

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted

As he said, you just input it in the FMC.

It will most likely have been on the transition, see this chart for example

http://nav.vatsim-germany.org/files/edmm/charts/eddm/public/transition/EDDM_TRAN-02_RWYS_26.pdf

However it doesn't matter hugely, simply input the fix in the FMC either with a line select key or a "direct to" input. I've flown a lot of airbus and dash recently so can't quite remember how the boeing FMC looks but IIRC you can enter the point in the scratchpad (ie "DM422") and then enter it with a line select key into the FP. Then execute a direct route to that waypoint.

Or if you're cleared on a transition you load it and then you can direct as if it was on your original flight plan.

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia

Conrad collinson
Posted
Posted
As he said, you just input it in the FMC.

It will most likely have been on the transition, see this chart for example

http://nav.vatsim-germany.org/files/edmm/charts/eddm/public/transition/EDDM_TRAN-02_RWYS_26.pdf

However it doesn't matter hugely, simply input the fix in the FMC either with a line select key or a "direct to" input. I've flown a lot of airbus and dash recently so can't quite remember how the boeing FMC looks but IIRC you can enter the point in the scratchpad (ie "DM422") and then enter it with a line select key into the FP. Then execute a direct route to that waypoint.

Or if you're cleared on a transition you load it and then you can direct as if it was on your original flight plan.

Hi thanks for the reply...

I know what you mean however when i type in the waypoint how can i insert it infront of the route... because i wouldnt want to delete the next waypoint in my route

Conrad Collinson

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Conrad,

on your FMC, go to the LEGS-page. Just insert the required waypoint anywhere on that page. In any case you will then need to bring it up to the top of the LEGS-page and confirm it, otherwise your plane won't be flying to the point. If you have not been cleared for the STAR/Transition, ask ATC for it. Normally and depending on the airport you are flying to, an instruction to proceed to any point of a transition also means that you will need to follow the rest of the transition after reaching that point. Please make sure you got charts ready to look it up.

And: if you are not sure, PLEASE tell ATC so he can help you. There's no problem having trouble with your FMC, we will support you. But there's a problem if ATC is not aware that you are having issues following his instructions. Be open, let him know that you are not able, unsure about the point or whatever.

Conrad collinson
Posted
Posted
Hi Conrad,

on your FMC, go to the LEGS-page. Just insert the required waypoint anywhere on that page. In any case you will then need to bring it up to the top of the LEGS-page and confirm it, otherwise your plane won't be flying to the point. If you have not been cleared for the STAR/Transition, ask ATC for it. Normally and depending on the airport you are flying to, an instruction to proceed to any point of a transition also means that you will need to follow the rest of the transition after reaching that point. Please make sure you got charts ready to look it up.

And: if you are not sure, PLEASE tell ATC so he can help you. There's no problem having trouble with your FMC, we will support you. But there's a problem if ATC is not aware that you are having issues following his instructions. Be open, let him know that you are not able, unsure about the point or whatever.

Hi,

Thanks a lot! This helped alot!

I think half of my problem was that it told me the waypoint was not in the database but like you say its not my fault if im having trouble with FMC! Thanks alot!

Conrad Collinson

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted

If you are using an older AIRAC, as Andreas said you might be, then you might have to buy one from Navigraph or Nav Data Pro. If you updated your AIRAC recently, make sure you have AIRAC 1612, as there were a number of huge changes to parts of the world.

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

Conrad collinson
Posted
Posted

OK thanks guys ill look into seeing if it needs an upgrade!

Thanks

Conrad Collinson