You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot Version 2 now stable

Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The open beta period for vPilot version 2 has ended, and v2.0.11 is now the latest stable version. Those of you running v1 will be prompted for one last upgrade which will install the final version in the 1.x branch. That version will prompt you to download v2 with some warnings about the changes in how model matching works and how to run vPilot over a local network.

Here are some notes on the major differences between 1.x and 2.x:

http://vpilot.metacraft.com/UpgradingV1toV2.aspx

To download v2, you can either use the automatic update function built into the client, or download it directly here:

http://vpilot.metacraft.com/DownloadHandler.ashx?m=0&ver=2.0.11&file=vPilot-Setup-2.0.11.exe

Thank you very much to everyone that helped test v2 during the open beta period. vPilot 2 makes networking and model matching so much easier and more automatic.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Todd Malek
Posted
Posted

Thanks Ross!

Cheers,

Todd.

CXA557-2.jpg

VATSIM: P1

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Ross the thanks truly are for you, not only for vPilot but the countless other pieces of great software you have selflessly produced for VATSIM over the years.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Alex Seeberger
Posted
Posted

As always....Thanks for the hard work and selfless contribution!

Brandon Mueller 1335748
Posted
Posted

I'm not so sure V2 is stable, or something may be wrong on my end. But when planning a flight a bit ago I loaded into fsx at my departing airport and then opened vpilot.... only to have it crash. I uninstalled and reinstalled using the download link above in this thread. Still crashes. Screenshot attached.

xOOZDWg.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Looks like it's hanging on the version check ... is there anything running that might block vPilot from accessing the vPilot.metacraft.com website to perform the version check?

Although what's strange is that the vPilot window appears to be grayed out, which normally means the UI is locked up, and the version check should not lock up the UI since it happens on a background thread.

Any firewall software running that might be blocking vPilot from (for example) opening the UDP voice port?

Brandon Mueller 1335748
Posted
Posted

No, don't have anything blocking. Made rules in the firewall. Added exceptions. And even though I'm using my phone data in tethered mode, I've never had a problem until after the V2 update. I was able to get port forwarding done for my phone as well, so there shouldn't be any issues.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Just to see if it reveals anything, try running it in host mode with and without voice. Also try running in remote mode with and without voice. Use the debug shortcuts in the start menu so that you get a debug window.

Brandon Mueller 1335748
Posted
Posted

Host Mode w/o voice

[22:34:42.155] vPilot version 2.0.11

[22:34:42.525] Version check complete. You are running the latest version.

[22:34:42.525] Checking for updated model matching data...

[22:34:42.645] Server list download succeeded. 17 servers found.

[22:34:42.805] Model matching data check complete. You have the most up-to-date data.

[22:34:42.805] Checking for changes to installed models...

[22:34:42.925] No changes found.

[22:34:42.935] Model matching rules generated.

[22:34:43.795] Listening for remote connections on IP(s): 169.254.82.228, 192.168.42.124, 169.254.61.234, 169.254.28.10, 25.32.163.159

[22:34:43.805] Attempting simulator connection...

[22:34:46.225] Simulator connection failed.

[22:34:48.802] Attempting simulator connection...

[22:34:51.205] Simulator connection failed.

Host Mode w/ Voice

[22:36:06.368] vPilot version 2.0.11

[22:36:06.470] Starting voice engine

[22:36:06.470] Setting audio parameters

[22:36:06.685] Server list download succeeded. 17 servers found.

[22:36:06.810] Version check complete. You are running the latest version.

[22:36:06.811] Checking for updated model matching data...

[22:36:07.074] Model matching data check complete. You have the most up-to-date data.

[22:36:07.080] Checking for changes to installed models...

[22:36:07.186] No changes found.

[22:36:07.187] Model matching rules generated.

[22:36:07.758] Listening for remote connections on IP(s): 169.254.82.228, 192.168.42.124, 169.254.61.234, 169.254.28.10, 25.32.163.159

[22:36:07.764] Attempting simulator connection...

[22:36:10.189] Simulator connection failed.

Remote Mode w/o Voice

[22:36:39.234] vPilot version 2.0.11

[22:36:39.744] Version check complete. You are running the latest version.

[22:36:54.449] Host address is not set. Please go to the vPilot settings and enter the host computer's address on the "Host" page.

[22:36:57.463] Host address is not set. Please go to the vPilot settings and enter the host computer's address on the "Host" page.

[22:37:00.468] Host address is not set. Please go to the vPilot settings and enter the host computer's address on the "Host" page.

Remote w/ Voice

[22:37:42.642] vPilot version 2.0.11

[22:37:42.722] Starting voice engine

[22:37:42.732] Setting audio parameters

[22:37:43.275] Version check complete. You are running the latest version.

[22:37:44.853] Host address is not set. Please go to the vPilot settings and enter the host computer's address on the "Host" page.

[22:37:47.846] Host address is not set. Please go to the vPilot settings and enter the host computer's address on the "Host" page.

The main program still hangs.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

So it only hangs when you run the standalone version?

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Forgive me for silly question..... what is difference between VPilot version 2 Beta and final version 2.0.11? I am doing fine with Vpilot version 2 Beta and have no desire to screw it up. I see you post explanations on difference between version 1 and version 2 but I am curious to know what is difference between VPilot version 2 Beta and final version 2.0.11.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
what is difference between VPilot version 2 Beta and final version 2.0.11?

That depends on which version of the version 2 beta you're running.

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted
That depends on which version of the version 2 beta you're running.

My version is 2.0.8.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Here is the Changelog from 2.0.8 to 2.0.11:

vPilot - 2.0.11
===============
- 0002524: Fixed crash when trying to generate rules from a model with an empty title.

vPilot - 2.0.10
===============
- 0002523: Update rule generation to handle models with more than one airline code.
- 0002522: Switch to using compressed model matching data file.
- 0002521: Add XMS airline code, match XMS* callsigns to BAW models.

vPilot - 2.0.9
==============
- 0002515: Add transponder control methods to plugin interface.
- 0002513: Add controller events to plugin architecture.
- 0002512: Add extraction of airline code and add to PIR response.
- 0002511: Duplicate BAW liveries for SHT.
- 0002516: Allow callsigns to start with a number.

I would certainly encourage you to stay up to date with the latest version. Generally speaking, if it's working fine for you now, then it should continue to work for you as long as the major version number doesn't change. The major version number (such as going from v2 to v3) means a very significant change has taken place, such as a complete rewrite of most of the model matching code, as happened with v2.

Other version number changes (such as going from v2.0 to v2.1 or v2.0.11 to v2.0.12) generally will not change the way any existing features behave, unless that behavior was wrong in some way.

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Thanks for fast reply, Ross!! Much appreciated!!!

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

• 4 weeks later...
Alexey Alexeev 1249308
Posted
Posted

Hello, Ross

in v1 version was settings for local proxy, does it work on v2?

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

See Ross' post here.

In short: it was intentionally removed. If you're trying to use ES with vPilot to create a tower view, see the ".towerview" command for vPilot.

• 2 weeks later...
Steve Moerdyk 858984
Posted
Posted

Hey Ross,

I have a quick question regarding model matching. I certainly may have missed the answer to this from the in depth post you made on the VATSIM forums:

So I understand that vPilot scans your airplane directory, but I have noticed that I have a number of traffic on VATSIM showing up as the 'default' aircraft selected. How can I improve this with the default model matching? I rather not using any third-party traffic addon simply because I hate having to manage them. If I were to simply install more PMDG liveries, would that possibly help my model matching? The more liveries I have installed, the better?

Steve

858984.png

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

You definitely don't want your PMDG or indeed any hi fidelity aircraft to be modelled in place of AI. After 1 or 2 being depicted your machine would be at a crawl. There is no real management required with many of these products. Once installed they should have no maintenance.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Agreed. The only "management" required is to do what everyone else does -- bite the bullet and invest the time into installing them. I installed several years ago and there is no management after that. Your experience will be exponentially more richer than looking at default aircraft.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Steve Moerdyk 858984
Posted
Posted

Hmm ... I guess that brings me to my next question.

What AI are you referring to that I should install? I think I'm confused...

Steve

858984.png

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

World of AI ("WoAI") is the popular free choice. There are payware options, too.

Steve Moerdyk 858984
Posted
Posted

Ahh ... now I'm starting to understand. I've heard World of AI is decent given that it's free. I'll focus my attention there..

Steve

858984.png

• 3 weeks later...
Jean-Pierre Audet 1353021
Posted
Posted

Hi! I had VPilot previous version that was stable, but since I did my update of 2.1.1 I cannot connect....

The system says: Your Default model was not found when we did the scan of your FSX. I tried different other one, and it always saying that????? It seems that VPilot is not able to scan my models??? Can u help?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Which sim are you using? FSX or P3D?

If FSX, enter this for the default model, without the quotes: "Airbus A321"

If P3D, enter this for the default model, without the quotes: "Bombardier CRJ 700"

The default model text box is on the "Model Matching" tab of the Settings window.