You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Mac, store bought or apple?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

Got a question folks. Does it matter much to buy a mac from a store (best buy, amazon. Kmart etc...) or from apple directly?

Read up on a few similar topics, but figured id get another opinion.

My sister wants to get one for my niece for her graduation. Itll be for school work and writing (shes a poet)

All i gather from the other topics is the only difference seems to be in the customer service where as the apple folks are trained vs untrained and often inexperienced at others

The last time i used a mac was in middle school in the early 90's so i know squat about todays macs lol

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted

Generally Apple dictates the price of their products, so unless there is an in store promotion for say Best Buy buy a mac and get $100 Best Buy gift card, the prices will be the same as in an Apple Store. As you suggested the customer service is FAR superior at an Apple Store, they actually take the time and give a rats a$$ about you compared to say Best Buy; yes there are decent people at Best Buy... hit and miss though, and sometimes you do get a dud person at Apple but it's rare. Even if you do buy an Apple product at Best Buy you can still always take it to an Apple Store for help. The experience is much better IMO at Apple, but if it's not convenient or there is a sweet promotion at another store don't sweat it.

Mr.

VATSIM P2

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

I would recommend going to the Apple Store. Everyone there actually knows about Apple products (unlike BestBuy) and they can help you get A) the right computer and B) it setup properly (if you need to set it up). As Lindsey said, unless there is a deal, I would go to the Apple Store to purchase a new Mac.

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted
My sister wants to get one for my niece for her graduation. Itll be for school work and writing (shes a poet)

Your sister needs to find out from your niece's college what is their official and authorized laptop since her college has stockpile of spare parts and repair parts as well as technicians who know how to fix specific laptops. Many colleges require specific brand of laptop.

Also, your sister need to ask Apple store or college for student price for laptop that your niece wants.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png