You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

10 to 20 FPS on a high end PC (FSX: SE)?

Jonathan Johnson

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted

I've been having lots of issues with FSX, and I'm not entirely sure what the problems are: For starters:

1. I know that FSX only uses 1 core processing, and that the highest of PCs still can't play the game Max.

2. Changing graphics settings from the highest ends to the lowest ends only "slightly" affect FPS. I can go from 10 to 15 FPS to maybe 15 to 23 FPS. I don't ever recall getting past 25 FPS (where I've seen people getting 30).

3. I've tried using FS Super Tweaker, Turning off traffic, adjusting clouds, and used Super Tweaker both tweaking settings myself, and using the auto adjust (going from low end to high end PC.. Low end fluctuating from 15-23, high end from 5 to 15..

Not sure what I can do to increase frames, but it's incredibly annoying since I "just" upgraded my PC in hopes to get better frames out of all of my games/sims. Planet Coaster, for example, has jumped from a juttery 10 FPS to now being at 22 FPS constant, and is now playable with no stutter on a m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive park. So I know it's done something. FSX doesn't seem to have changed at all.

Here is my current setup:

Windows 10 Pro

Nvida GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB)

AMD FX 8350 8 core processor (4 GB)

16 GB DDR3 RAM

Add ons:

Megascenery Earth Pittsburgh

Night Environment PA

PMDG 737

FlyTampa Boston

Ultimate Terrain X

Saitek x52 Panel plugin for FSX

edit: I tried tinkering with the add ons, and nothing helped until I switched from the PMDG to the default Microsoft aircraft, and the frames jumped up to a steady 30 FPS. Could this be an issue with the PMDG?

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Not sure I'd call it an issue with the PMDG; the PMDG is of course more complex, therefore more frame rate intensive. Others smarter than I on hardware/processors would have to comment further.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

• Board of Governors
Tim Barber
Posted
Posted

There are many discussion papers and guides regarding software and hardware setups for FSX....this one is what I refer to the most often... https://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/

TB

Tim Barber

VATSIM President

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

I suspect that's your problem right there. I can do an easy 24-30 fps with the 737NGX using my i7-4770K clocked at 3.9Ghz; it does drop a bit when in a complex airport with heavy clouds.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted

I deleted my FSX cfg file and got my fps greatly increased on the PMDG. I'm tinkering with the settings some and using Nvidia inspector as well to hopefully fix this. So far... so good.

edit:

Just for more information:

FPS in daylight at KPIT (with Megascenery earth Pittsburgh): 20-26 FPS (from 15-20 FPS)

FPS at night at KPIT (with MSE Pittsburgh, night environment pa max, and snow/rain): 10-15 FPS (from 5-15 FPS). Also if I'm not looking outside and move the viewpoint away from the windows, it increases up to 20 FPS. Which I believe before would only increase to 15...

It's definitely an improvement over what it was.

marcus holmes
Posted
Posted

I suspect that's your problem right there. I can do an easy 24-30 fps with the 737NGX using my i7-4770K clocked at 3.9Ghz; it does drop a bit when in a complex airport with heavy clouds.

Cheers!

Luke

I agree with what Luke has said. I know from experience with I first started out on flightsim I was using an AMD processor and had problems with my frames, then I changed over to a Intel and I saw a big jump in the frames. I have read a lot of reports about the AMD not being able to cope with flightsim (FS9/FSX) very well.

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted

I'm learning quickly that I should have went with Intel instead of AMD for my PC. Which sucks because I just got this AMD processor/motherboard combo. I honestly never knew there was such a huge performance difference between them both. Oh well you live and learn .

I'm going to tinker with some settings (started messing with Nvidia Inspector) and I am getting it to a good framerate where it's not laggy. I don't mind lower frames, I just hate when the FPS drops to where it causes the game to lag...