You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Difficulty of X-Plane Port

Jonathan Fong

Jonathan Fong
Posted
Posted

Just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to make a X-Plane version of vPilot? I don't mean making vPilot v2 XP10/XP11 compatible - I mean making an adaptation of it that works with X-Plane and X-Plane only (say, X-vPilot). Surely it would be possible to modify the code that 'talks to' FSX/P3D (altitude, speed, heading, model matching, etc.) to interface properly with X-Plane (XPUIPC could be used here)... The rest of the code for connecting, voice channels, etc. could be taken straight from the current vPilot code as it doesn't directly interface with the simulator (to my knowledge). The X-CSL packages could be used for model matching - it might take a while to compile a complete set of rules to use, but it'd certainly be possible, looking at the extensive ability of vPilot v2 to match models automatically. Any thoughts on this? It would certainly provide a much more stable client for X-Plane than XSB...

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

vpilot uses simconnect for one. if you create a simconnect emulator that links to xplane, maybe. Ross has said in the past though he only builds for what he uses. no reason such a project would have to be dependent on him though

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Right, I have no interest in porting vPilot to XPlane, but I'd be happy to provide helpful bits of vPilot's code to anyone that wants to take it on. Though, honestly, the SimConnect stuff is by far the most complicated part of vPilot. The UI stuff, flight plan handling, and voice stuff is all pretty easy. So the bits of vPilot that would be reusable on a non-SimConnect platform are relatively small. (Not insignificant, though.)

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC