You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FAO ATC/Pilots BY/BAL "Britannia" to be withdrawn

Iain Sealey 841536

Iain Sealey 841536
Posted
Posted

BY098A/BAL098A NCL - MIR (Newcastle to Monastir) on Sunday 30th Will be the last service departing the United Kingdom, with the BY/BAL and "Britannia" name.

As of May 1st, all BY/BAL (Britannia) will be replaced by TOM (IATA and ICAO) and the callsign "Thomson"

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Gareth Smart 908521
Posted
Posted

so if that was the last Britania flight out of Britain, not only would that be the end of an era but then why do I still hear Britania flights being called for boarding at work in the ususal 'flight BYXXXX' and als hear some on frequency as well?

Sos just a general quiery

Regards

Gareth at EGGD

Iain Sealey 841536
Posted
Posted

Probably becuase most p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers purchased thier tickets before the change over, so they probably have to use the old code as well, however ALL ICAO Flightplans are TOM and ALL Thomson flights use the flt number as the callsign, no more A or B Flights.

Cheers

Gareth Smart 908521
Posted
Posted

but can that mean then that we can still fly as Britania if wewanted to?

i know it is supposed to be as real as it gets but can we keep the memmories alive?

Gareth Williams 840232
Posted
Posted

In the same way that Concorde still plies her trade across the virtual Atlantic skies I think a Britannia callsign would not be amiss every now and again.

Regards,

Gareth

Gareth Smart 908521
Posted
Posted

yay!!!!! am happy now as a Nrittania B752 was the first a/c type i ever flew on

• 3 weeks later...
Gareth Smart 908521
Posted
Posted

was listening to Bristol Tower at work to day at around 0945 local and I heard a Brittania being called out but doing a vfr at FL050 going dct WOODLEY

Was I hearing right then or was it a different aircraft that i was hearing?

Regards

Gareth