You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Where are all the sites for downloading STAR/SID/IAP charts?

Daniel Churchman 1050104

Daniel Churchman 1050104
Posted
Posted

I've been off flying for about 3.5 years. I've recently returned and find the usual suspects for obtaining these charts just don't seem to be around anymore.

SkyVector seems to have charts for the US, but as I tend to fly globally, that doesn't help me.

The searches I do return discussions many years old, and the links provided are dead.

Where can I find these docomeents these days?

32634443566_ac93fccbf6_m.jpg

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I am a longtime US IFR sim pilot who is just now starting to fly internationally, but, in my research so far, my best advice for finding charts outside of the US is to look on the websites of the individual VATSIM FIRs and Divisions. Many, if not most, will have a Pilots tab in their menubar directing you to a resource center of sorts with helpful info about flying within their airspace or to/from their major airports. Most of these include links to charts, or at least contain some good guidance on where to find them.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

I try https://eurocontrol.int/articles/ais-online for many of my European charts. A vast majority are free, but varies by country. Also, some may require registration, also usually free, and some not. Just find the country you want and see where it takes you.

Even though it seems to be Europe specific it also contains links to other regions and continents. Each country link is a little different and navigating the country site may not be easy, including written in the native language, but if you persevere you will often times be richly rewarded.

Another option is to search "AIP COUNTRY", as in "AIP Portugal" or AIP Bolivia. Sometimes works, sometimes not.

I usually go these routes until the "brick wall" is reached before using the VATSIM FIR/ARTCC search route. Some regions, but certainly not all, post "official" charts, but they are free to them (and to you) because they are outdated. Outdated is better than none. Current is better than outdated.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Joshua Black
Posted
Posted

For the USA or Canada, fltplan.com is my source for up-to-date charts. When I fly elsewhere, I also have a Navigraph chart subscription for the rest of the world.

Joshua Black

Daniel Churchman 1050104
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the feedback folks...

For the USA or Canada, fltplan.com is my source for up-to-date charts. When I fly elsewhere, I also have a Navigraph chart subscription for the rest of the world.

Yeah, I've been thinking about expanding my subscription to include the charts. Is it just PDF downloads, or online only, or is there some fancy, searchable interface software?

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Daniel,

If you want to go navigraph then it can be useful. They have an iPad app, web version and a standalone windows program. All are accessed via a account login. Pretty good idea, just need to pay a little.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Daniel Churchman 1050104
Posted
Posted

Thanks Sean, I think I'll do that...

Joshua Black
Posted
Posted

Just keep in mind that the Navigraph charts aren't for all airports. It seems to cover all the major/majorish international airports, but won't cover some of the smaller airports despite them having instrument approaches/departures/arrivals.

Joshua Black

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

Aircharts

David Zhong

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Good find. Nice simple layout with quick access.

Seems to have lots of airports, but NZ seems to be absent.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Daniel Churchman 1050104
Posted
Posted
Aircharts

Strange - I can access the site aircharts.org, but every search I've tried, while it gets me a listing of possible charts to view, any chart I select gives me a "404 not found".

Maybe they're undergoing maintenance....

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted
Aircharts

Strange - I can access the site aircharts.org, but every search I've tried, while it gets me a listing of possible charts to view, any chart I select gives me a "404 not found".

Maybe they're undergoing maintenance....

Yes, on another thread the creator said he's doing a rebuild, but he's currently at a remote work site so his internet connection isn't great (using satellite). He said once his back to better internet he can shore it all up.

https://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70660&p=509537&hilit=aircharts.org#p509537

Mr.

VATSIM P2

Daniel Churchman 1050104
Posted
Posted

Cheers Lindsay.

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted

I don't know if any of you have used it, but flying in the northeast US I use flightaware.com. If you search for a specific airport, all the charts seem to be on there. Like today I realized I didn't have charts for JFK and from there I was able to download charts for the airport, runways, SIDs and STARs. The only thing I didn't have was gate information, which I obtained at ifly.com