You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

One runway, two ILS, one frequency!

Daniel Churchman 1050104

Daniel Churchman 1050104
Posted
Posted

Have a look at KSAT ILS12R and ILS30L. Both use 110.9.

1. How does this work in real life

2. Do our aircraft in FSX handle this OK?

32634443566_ac93fccbf6_m.jpg

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

1. The controller switches which one is active

2. Yes

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

- Tune the right frequency

- tune the correct inbound course

- be approaching the correct runway

FS won't "see" the ILS which is "pointed" the opposite direction. (back course inhibited)

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

From VATSTAR's lesson on Back Course Approaches:

"While multiplayer servers and networks like VATSIM have turned the hobby into an entire interactive world populated by many of the same types of actors that exist in reality, flight simlulation software is, at its roots, a single-user system. In the real world, airport operations staff decide which ILS systems to turn on and which ones to turn off; in the virtual one, all ILS systems are on if the pilot is within receiving range of them. Simulated runways which have two separate ILS systems in opposing directions using the same frequency will automatically "pop" from one to the other when the pilot crosses a point approximately abeam midfield. Two pilots on VATSIM approaching that scenario simultaneously from opposite directions with their NAV radios tuned to the same ILS frequencies will each see a different ILS transmitter as being active; obviously, this is not the case in the real world, where only the ILS system for the runway's active direction will be transmitting at any given time."

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Daniel Churchman 1050104
Posted
Posted

Great replies, thanks everyone!

32634443566_ac93fccbf6_m.jpg

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

Rob, not sure I would describe that as a "backcourse" approach, which is when you fly (e.g.) the runway 36 localizer from the north to land on runway 18 (i.e. flying the localiser backwards), whereas that is simply two separation ILS installations that happen to be on the same frequency.

David Zhong

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I didn't describe it as a back course approach. I said that the section I quoted came from our lesson on back course approaches.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

Fair enough, although I hope you do see how someone could interpret it that way!

David Zhong

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

That discussion is included in that lesson to distinguish the phenomenon of two opposing ILSs from an actual back course approach. But I do see what you're saying.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Lorenzo Stobbione 1368867
Posted
Posted

If I am not wrong XPlane has the option of turning off downwind ILS in order to let pilots have only one active course.

Lorenzo Stobbione

P1 Rating - VATSIM Online Pilot

P2 Rating - VATSIM Flight Fundamentals

VCI2636.png