You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vpilot randomly disconnects? Only happens in Non-controlled?

Jonathan Johnson

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted

Recently I've been having this seriously strange issue where Vpilot disconnects me from the network due to inactivity.. and I don't know why?

Example would be one that happened today (flying from KBOS to KPIT). From starting everything (loading up Active Sky/FSX Steam/Vpilot), to connecting to the network, and even the initial flight portion worked fine.

It seems to be once I've reached cruising altitude and nothing is happening... Randomly I'll hear the warning beeps from Vpilot, and sure enough it's disconnected me due to inactivity... but what inactivity? I'm cruising, nothing is going on... It's not like I'm not near FSX or anything... I'm not "away" and disregarding any messages...

Also, it seems to only do it on longer flights.. a quick flight from BOS to JFK wouldn't do it. I haven't tried it on long flights (am going to do a flight from SFO to BOS soon), but on the flights where it has happened I do believe it's only done it once.. so it seems to happen once per flight on flights that aren't short..

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

What makes you say that the disconnect is due to inactivity?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted

Next time I'm on I'll post a picture, but it says it disconnected due to inactivity. I don't believe by me, but it says something about inactivity from server or something...

The strangest part of it is that I haven't had this happen while in an ATC controlled airspace (thank god!) Also never had it happen while ascending or descending. It only seems to happen while at cruise level....

Morten Jelle
Posted
Posted

Jonathan, it more sounds like to are being removed from the network by a Supervisor, than it seems to be a vPilot issue. Have you checked that there was no private messages you didn't read? The sounds you hear, could possibly be from a Supervisor.

Morten Jelle

VATSIM Network Supervisor, Team Lead - Supervisor Team 1

spacer.png

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted

No messages from a supervisor. I usually immediately reconnect. I'm always near Vatsim in case a supervisor messages me. And again this never happens when on the ground, and almost always happens when in air and at cruising level. The last 2 flights though it has not happened. Coincidentally, Vpilot did just update and I don't know if it's all related or not...

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

some of the connection error messages could make one believe its from a sup or something saying you are being removed due to inactivity

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Let's stop speculating and wait for a screenshot.

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted

I'd give you guys a screenshot if it happens again! Another flight, no disconnect. Same exact flight and route I did before to get it to disconnect (KBOS to KPIT, same flight level as always).

I have in the past been disconnect via a supervisor. Accidentally left vpilot on with FSX off (not realizing that it didn't disconnect) and woke up to find a few messages from a supervisor, first asking if I was there, and eventually stating rules and then disconnecting me. When vpilot disconnects me during the flight, I have no messages from anyone. I usually double check to make sure I didn't enter controlled airspace (or if ATC came online), but both are a no... and FSX is running just fine...

But yeah.. 3 flights in a row with no disconnects.

Also I just did a search and was able to find the exact error message that I have received:

"Network Error: The server has failed to respond to the authentication challenge. Disconnected from network."

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted
Accidentally left vpilot on with FSX off

this scenario "shouldnt" work. without FSX, vpilot has nothing to stay connected to. only thing i can think of is even though you closed FSX, the process never shutdown and remained in the background, keeping vpilot connected

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Right, vPilot disconnects from the network as soon as it loses the SimConnect connection to FSX. The only way it would stay connected after closing FSX is if somehow SimConnect kept the connection alive. I've seen evidence to suggest this can happen if FSX crashes.

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted
Accidentally left vpilot on with FSX off

this scenario "shouldnt" work. without FSX, vpilot has nothing to stay connected to. only thing i can think of is even though you closed FSX, the process never shutdown and remained in the background, keeping vpilot connected

Yeah that was my issue. The FSX.exe was actually not closed (though the program seemed to have shut down). I tracked this issue to a problem with the Saitek x52 which after fixing allowed FSX.exe to close completely (without a forced shutdown) and disconnect vatsim from the network. But I tend to close vpilot first now just because I'm paranoid since it happened before..

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted

Got an error message again today (error message was in red):

[03:14:02] Network error: EndReceive failed: (10060) A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

[03:14:02] Disconnected from network.

I have only been on for 5 minutes, was just setting the jet up at the gate. No messages from anyone, ATC is offline currently in Boston.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

thats a connection message, it doesnt mean its because you werent responding to ATC or Supervisors

your connection failed to send or receive data or some packets got lost in the process. since its not constant, sounds more like something simply interrupted your connection temporarily, enough to cause the error. if you use wifi, keep in mind anything can interrupt that signal, its designed that way. even if the router is right next to your PC, it can be interrupted

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted

I am using a wired connection (Comcast). Pretty decent speeds. Just surprised it's been happening recently. So far the flight is going well and no other disconnects.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

if you want to try something, you can try running a long ping or tracert. should pop up at some point

if youve never done that before, this video does a pretty good job of going into detail about it and how to do it

next time it happens, try running a ping or tracert to see if it pops up

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Not sure how technically "sound" the "solution" is, but many folks find relief, albeit some report temporary relief, after resetting their router.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations