You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

[BETA] Request

Josh Glottmann

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Would it be possible to have something similar to the master/slave setup with vPilot?

I'm looking to run vSTARS on two different machines.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Why do you need to run vSTARS on more than one machine?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
Why do you need to run vSTARS on more than one machine?

My laptop doesn't function as a secondary display.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want multiple monitors for vSTARS (one for the radar, and additional ones for ASDEX and flight strips) and you don't have multiple monitor outputs on your main computer, so you'd like to use multiple computers in order to have multiple monitors. Is that right?

There is software designed to be run on laptops which allows them to function as secondary displays for the main computer. It sounds like you've looked into that already ... is there some reason those applications can't run on your laptop?

Anyway, it is highly unlikely that I will rewrite vSTARS to run in a split host/remote setup similar to vPilot. That functionality was essentially a necessity for many users because they wanted to run FSX/P3D in full screen mode. That requirement doesn't exist for controllers using vSTARS, so any such feature is not going to be beneficial for most users.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
If I'm understanding you correctly, you want multiple monitors for vSTARS (one for the radar, and additional ones for ASDEX and flight strips) and you don't have multiple monitor outputs on your main computer, so you'd like to use multiple computers in order to have multiple monitors. Is that right?

Correct.

There is software designed to be run on laptops which allows them to function as secondary displays for the main computer. Have you looked into that type of solution?

I have, but I'll look again.

Alex Seeberger
Posted
Posted

Correct.

What you might also want to check out is a USB to HDMI or Display port dongle. I guess it depends whether you have any open USB ports but for VATSIM radar clients the refresh rate won't be an issue.