You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Unable to install vPilot - Bitdefender detects a trojan!

Barry Woodward

Barry Woodward
Posted
Posted

After using vPilot frequently, just now the shortcut could no longer find the .exe nor could I searching my drives. I'd tried installing earlier versions but got the same error message. I downloaded the most recent version from metacraft, tried to install, and got the same error message. I have no idea what could've changed in the past 24 hours to cause the disruption.

Any similar experiences or suggestions?

Thanks

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

could be a false positive or if things are disappearing, you've got a bug runnin around

Barry Woodward
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the response! I'm using FSX-SE and had launched vPilot, connected, filed a flight plan ... a while later, I tried to check some info on vPilot but couldn't. The only thing I'd done was launch FS Commander after vPilot.

"vpilot.exe" could not be located anywhere on my system, even after re-installing. The virus detected is Trojan.GenericKD4332392. I have the option of recovering the allegedly infected file. BitDefender's anti-ransomware is detected it.

Bahaeddine El-Zarif
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the response! I'm using FSX-SE and had launched vPilot, connected, filed a flight plan ... a while later, I tried to check some info on vPilot but couldn't. The only thing I'd done was launch FS Commander after vPilot.

"vpilot.exe" could not be located anywhere on my system, even after re-installing. The virus detected is Trojan.GenericKD4332392. I have the option of recovering the allegedly infected file. BitDefender's anti-ransomware is detected it.

Yes I believe that was a false positive. I think to make sure there is a site that allows you to upload them to make sure they're clean. I had it once with FSInn too.

Bahaeddine

Barry Woodward
Posted
Posted

thanks for the reply! upon further investigation, I learned that BitDefender labels any file that seems to go too deep in making changes - Trojan.GenericKD. When I restored the file, Trojan.GenericKD became vpilot.exe. Then, I uninstalled what was left of vPilot and cleared the registry of any "vpilot" object. Finally, I downloaded vPilot again from metacraft but on installing got the message that "vpilot.exe" couldn't be found! Another curious aspect, the default location for installation is in local/appdata ... but when I went to local, I couldn't find the appdata folder! It's property had been changed to "hidden" ... but not by me! I tried installing to a different location but vpilot.exe and several other components were there.

I had no problem installing vPilot on a computer with NOD32 a/v.

I guess I won't be VATSIMing any longer.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I had no problem installing vPilot on a computer with NOD32 a/v.

Why not? Seems this is a totally solvable problem ...

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I put on my shoe but my shoelace broke when I was trying to tie it. I guess I won't be walking any longer....

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Barry Woodward
Posted
Posted

Well, I don't know what to say ... I just went through the exact steps I'd done yesterday - downloaded the vpilot setup from metacraft, scanned it using BitDefender (clean), launched the setup (no problem this time), launched vPilot, connected to VATSIM, ready to fly! I'm totally confused as to why BD put me through so many changes yesterday.

Since nobody else responded with similar problems, I can only presume that there's some glitch in my system (Windows 10, GeForce 1080, etc.).

Now I can enjoy Mr. Carlson's great creation!

Thanks, again, to all who responded!

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Well, I don't know what to say ... I just went through the exact steps I'd done yesterday - downloaded the vpilot setup from metacraft, scanned it using BitDefender (clean), launched the setup (no problem this time), launched vPilot, connected to VATSIM, ready to fly! I'm totally confused as to why BD put me through so many changes yesterday. Since nobody else responded with similar problems, I can only presume that there's some glitch in my system (Windows 10, GeForce 1080, etc.).

Anti-malware software tends to update regularly so most likely what happened was that the definitions changed and it no longer had a false positive on vpilot. TBH most anti-virus and anti-malware these days is like chemotherapy, it is marginally less toxic to healthy entities than to the diseased.

I'd probably look at Windows Defender or MSE and leave it at that.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Barry Woodward
Posted
Posted

thanks, Luke, and all! just completed a flight from KSAN to KPHX with vPilot and all went well! It must've been some quick update yesterday that left vpilot.exe vulnerable for a short time. glad it's resolved!

• 3 weeks later...
Barry Woodward
Posted
Posted

After the BitDefender ransonware blocked vPilot, I contacted them and had them download the app and see what happens. BD responded that they had analyzed the situation and decided that the trojan warning was a false positive. In their words:

"The situation seems to be a false positive.The issue is caused by the fact that vpilot.exe tried to make changes to the C:\Users\Public\Docomeents folder. Bitdefender ransomware protection protects this location, and will not allow any applications that are not trusted to make changes there.

In order to resolve this situation, until we solve this false positive, go to Bitdefender > Modules > Blocked applications (below ransomware protection) and move the Vpilot files to Trusted applications (select them and press on Allow)."

vPilot default installation folder is c:\Users\(me)\local\AppData and my previous attempts were to a folder on a different drive (trying not to overload my SSD C: drive). My recent successful install (to the default folder in User\local\App Data) met with an error message that the vPilot files did not have access to the Public\Public Docomeents. I ignored it since I had added the exe to the trusted list, launched vPilot, and had a nice flight from KSAN to KSFO.

It's a great addon!