You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How busy/full is cleveland?

Jonathan Johnson

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted

Getting some interest in controlling, and just reading up for now. Going through some docomeentation and Cleveland ARTCC's website, but how full is Cleveland? Curiosity peaked for me as it seems like most of the time I'm on to fly, Cleveland isn't. Though I've been lucky a lot and they pop on mid-flight. I just like flying around my hometown, and think it would be cool to control the area.

The biggest question I have is in regards to times. Having a kid it's not really easy to say when I'll be on. With flying I can usually know that night if it's going to be a good night to fly, and can hop on. Is this the case with ATC? I have noticed a lot of you guys post your times somewhere on the internet so we (as pilots) can know ahead of time if ATC Will be on, but I know myself I couldn't guarantee times. Maybe if for an event I could, but I couldn't (on a weekly basis) say "I'll be on X day at X hours for x hours".

I also just feel like Pittsburgh doesn't get too much love . Not even in a vatsim sense, but the history of the Airport.. one of the best layouts out there, yet it seems none of the major airliners want to invest in it.. it's nowhere near as busy as it could be!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I'm *not* answering specifically on behalf of ZOB -- but, from what I've seen in my time around the network, most US ARTCCs don't engage in publishing times for scheduled ATC coverage. You're more-or-less free to pop on & off at your whim. The only general requirements are a certain number of hours per month, & the occasional commitment to work events hosted by the ARTCC.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted

That's good news! I'm going to do some more reading and stuff (and more practice flying) and then probably try to join. Would love to make more virtual traffic through our area

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

You can find us online to support published events in our and adjacent airspace. Check the VATUSA event calendar. Otherwise, it's a free for all like Robert suggested.

All of us are being pulled a dozen different directions other than VATSIM. You need not be worried about fitting controlling into your schedule, so long as you have reasonable expectations. Training will progress more slowly if you cannot commit to any scheduled sessions but there can be spur-of-the-moment training. If you study outside of training sessions, you can make the most of the actual time you are on the network. It can be done. Once trained, you'll be in the same boat as most of us... controlling when you can.

You won't find a ton of traffic or insane levels of airspace complexity in ZOB, but it is this center controller's dream. I'm going on 17 years now at virtual Cleveland center and still love the mix of overflights and local traffic. We get to sort the deck for traffic going into Boston, NY, DC, Toronto, and Chicago. Once Cleveland gets everyone in line and speeds matched, it's probably pretty boring working at some of those other facilities.

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted
You can find us online to support published events in our and adjacent airspace. Check the VATUSA event calendar. Otherwise, it's a free for all like Robert suggested.

All of us are being pulled a dozen different directions other than VATSIM. You need not be worried about fitting controlling into your schedule, so long as you have reasonable expectations. Training will progress more slowly if you cannot commit to any scheduled sessions but there can be spur-of-the-moment training. If you study outside of training sessions, you can make the most of the actual time you are on the network. It can be done. Once trained, you'll be in the same boat as most of us... controlling when you can.

You won't find a ton of traffic or insane levels of airspace complexity in ZOB, but it is this center controller's dream. I'm going on 17 years now at virtual Cleveland center and still love the mix of overflights and local traffic. We get to sort the deck for traffic going into Boston, NY, DC, Toronto, and Chicago. Once Cleveland gets everyone in line and speeds matched, it's probably pretty boring working at some of those other facilities.

After flying through LA center, and flying from Boston to JFK, I can't believe how much traffic is dealt with. I think that I could manage setting some times for training, but yeah it would be a slow process (which I don't mind at all). I would like the variation in traffic, and definitely the fact that it's not hectic !

Rick Rump
Posted
Posted
I also just feel like Pittsburgh doesn't get too much love . Not even in a vatsim sense, but the history of the Airport.. one of the best layouts out there, yet it seems none of the major airliners want to invest in it.. it's nowhere near as busy as it could be!

Too true, too sad. Really needs payware scenery

VATUSA Mid-west Region Manager | Former VATUSA Training Director | Former ZDC ATM/DATM/TA/WM

VATSIM Network Supervisor | Team 5

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted

Too true, too sad. Really needs payware scenery

I have megascenery pittsburgh and night environment x and it's nicer then autogen, but I really wish it wasn't flat photo scenery... if like someone to create pittsburgh with actual buildings and such... it definitely needs more love.

Jonathan Johnson
Posted
Posted

Joined Cleveland today! That exam was pretty simple. Easier then I thought. Going to register with the website and everything else once the kiddo is napping!