You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Setting the QNH question

George Paton 1378950

George Paton 1378950
Posted
Posted

I'm fairly new to flight simming and have a quick question about when to switch to standard pressure and vice versa.

So for example I am flying out of Heathrow where a lot of the departures have an altitude restriction of 6000 ft which is also the transition altitude. So if i get to 6000 ft and hold there for 10 miles or so before I can start my climb do I switch to std QNH as soon as I get there, or when I leave the altitude and start my climb?

Same goes for the other way round, if a controller asks me to hold at a transition altitude (it hasn't happened to me, and i'm not sure if they will do this) do I switch from standard to local QNH as soon as I hit transition altitude, or when I leave and descend further?

Thanks for the help

Matthew Burton 1270824
Posted
Posted

Hello,

The transition altitude is still a altitude therefore you should still be on the local QNH. Once you are cleared to a Flight level, set standard pressure. The same with descending, when you get cleared down to a altitude (witch the transition altitude is), you should set the local QNH.

Hope this helps,

Matthew

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

If you are cleared to an altitude, you set local QNH

If you are cleared to a Flight level, you set Standard 1013/29.92

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015