You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Bravo Zulu!

Dan Everette

Dan Everette
Posted
Posted

Havving worked numerous TGIFs, FNOs, CTPs, and Tea Parties (from both sides of the scope), I'd like to give a shout out to two individuals I encountred tonight:

Aaron Schwartz (ZSE) and Kaylan Fullerton (ZLC) did an absolutely phenominal job this evening! When it was apparant that ZOA was way in over their head and drowing with the traffic, the second-tier ARTCCs stepped up.

Both of these controllers handled numerous last-minute diversions for aircraft they were holding in their airspace. The diversions were for fields both within and outside their facility. All diversions I heard (and experienced) were handled professionally and quickly.

While I would have loved to make it down to SFO, I understand the need to not accept any handoffs due to being over-saturated. Either way, I enjoed the last minute diversion from SEA to SLC. Both controllers did an outstanding job picking up the slack!

-Dan Everette

CFI, CFII, MEI

Having the runway in sight just at TDZE + 100 is like Mom, Warm cookies and milk, and Christmas morning, all wrapped into one.

Chris Dobison 810929
Posted
Posted

Another example of how great this network is - a great example of teamwork. Well done Aaron and Kaylan - I hope Karma comes back and helps you out in your time of need in the future

Have a great weekend chaps,

Chris

Chris Dobison

Vatsim Network Supervisor

21.png

Rick Rump
Posted
Posted

ZOA did a fantastic job dealing with the weather and the vast amount of arrivals. It is great to have seen just how busy the past five or six FNOs have been! Weather can make them more fun (on both sides).

VATUSA Mid-west Region Manager | Former VATUSA Training Director | Former ZDC ATM/DATM/TA/WM

VATSIM Network Supervisor | Team 5

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted

How about a thank you to the pilots who recognized the situation and accepted their fate without giving the controllers any trouble? It isn't often that we hear about pilots actually following instructions that are outside the expected and in this situation they joined the controllers in doing a great job of adopting to the circomestances at hand. Cooperation at its best!

All in all I would say a well done job by everyone involved!

Ira Robinson

Rick Rump
Posted
Posted

I think pilots are getting more and more use to holds. That is definitely a great thing to see. Three of the last six FNOs required holds of at least ten minutes.

VATUSA Mid-west Region Manager | Former VATUSA Training Director | Former ZDC ATM/DATM/TA/WM

VATSIM Network Supervisor | Team 5

• 1 month later...
Brin Brody
Posted
Posted
I think pilots are getting more and more use to holds. That is definitely a great thing to see. Three of the last six FNOs required holds of at least ten minutes.

Hold are a useful thing to have, when the airspace is way over-saturated, but I find that when I put a pilot in a hold, they tend to disconnect, because of (I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume) one of two reasons:

1. They don't want to wait.

2. They don't know how to fly a hold using their GPS systems, and therefore don't.

In both cases, it's simpler for them to just log off, and fly the rest of it offline. I myself, until recently, identified with the second of the two... Those using default FSX aircraft with no addons are at a serious detriment in this case. If we could introduce a way to teach pilots hold properly using a lack of technology, or give them a freeware FMC that can hold properly, it might work better. This obviously goes beyond a few guys chatting on the forums, though.

And, of course, we can't keep pilots from being impatient. Just my scoop on things.

Great work Aaron, Kaylan. Hope to see you soon.

Brin Brody

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted
If we could introduce a way to teach pilots hold properly using a lack of technology

I don't see how flying a hold is different than any other skill needed to fly on VATSIM. Either they learn it on their own or they use the training available from ATOs.

Flying it manually is ok, unless a. it's very long or b. you require the hold to fix a problem you need to focus on.

KntU2Cw.jpg

Brin Brody
Posted
Posted
If we could introduce a way to teach pilots hold properly using a lack of technology

I don't see how flying a hold is different than any other skill needed to fly on VATSIM. Either they learn it on their own or they use the training available from ATOs.

Flying it manually is ok, unless a. it's very long or b. you require the hold to fix a problem you need to focus on.

Not everyone uses training from an ATO, due to our lack of requirement for pilot certifications prior to flight on the network. So, I get people who tell me "unable" to going direct to a fix when filed IFR... There are some things that are hard to do without some better technology.

Brin Brody

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted
There are some things that are hard to do without some better technology.

Yeah, obviously. I was just saying that in my opinion hold (in itself) is not one of those things.

KntU2Cw.jpg

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted

Hold are a useful thing to have, when the airspace is way over-saturated, but I find that when I put a pilot in a hold, they tend to disconnect, because of (I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume) one of two reasons:

1. They don't want to wait.

2. They don't know how to fly a hold using their GPS systems, and therefore don't.

In both cases, it's simpler for them to just log off, and fly the rest of it offline. I myself, until recently, identified with the second of the two... Those using default FSX aircraft with no addons are at a serious detriment in this case. If we could introduce a way to teach pilots hold properly using a lack of technology, or give them a freeware FMC that can hold properly, it might work better. This obviously goes beyond a few guys chatting on the forums, though.

And, of course, we can't keep pilots from being impatient. Just my scoop on things.

Great work Aaron, Kaylan. Hope to see you soon.

Doesn't even have to be that hard, they could just use the heading option on AP and keep flipping it 180 degrees, make their turns within 1min30secs ish. I think mostly (and I know there are lot of arm chair pilots that are very proficient) but I think mostly only RW IFR rated pilots are going to be picking the correct hold entry and adjusting their outbound timings and heading to adjust for their inbound winds to ensure that 1:30 or 1:00 (depending on alt) golden ticket.

I remember my multi-ifr training and practicing holds my CFI would be like "ok we can head back now" me: "nah I want to nail this!" CFI: "ok a couple more turns then...". Controllers didn't care because heck we were in a hold. In fact I was doing them every day for a week and the controller I guess recognized my voice and gave me a 2 hour hold clearance time! haha

Mr.

VATSIM P2