You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Pilots' equivalent to Iron Mike award possible?

Richard McDonald Woods

Richard McDonald Woods
Posted
Posted

Would it be possible to publish monthly awards for the most popular destination airfields and/or pilots flying hours

Cheers, Richard

You are the music, until the music stops. T.S.Eliot

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

thats already done by the VA's as they can track their pilots and verify their hours.

not as simple for VATSIM to do. some pilots use 100's of callsigns a year, others use the same one over and over. some log on for a short time, disconnect enroute, then reconnect for the rest, etc.. etc..

is no way for VATSIM to validate those hours being logged on by the pilot. is no way for VATSIM to even know the time the pilot was logged in was all in the air, they couldve sat on the ground for hours and win the award

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

It's easy enough to track pilot hours ... the fact that pilots use many different callsigns is not an issue ... we have CID for that. And filtering out the pilots that just sit on the ramp is easy enough too ... you only count the hours where the lat/lon changes by more than a certain threshold.

I think the issue would be that long haul pilots would always be the winners, if you based it purely on connected hours. You could base it number of flights, but then the long haul pilots are at a disadvantage.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Richard McDonald Woods
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross,

I don't see the stats as providing an advantage or disadvantage.

I am more after finding which airports are the most used and which pilots fly most hours.

The argument about connected hours whilst observing goes the same for controllers online at little used airports.

I understand that many pilots are not members of a VA.

Cheers, Richard

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

not a good example, cause we expect controllers to be at the scope when they log on. (and they will get walloped if a pilot shows up and gets no response). controllers dont normally bother an observer on the ground unless they notice theyve been there an excessive amount of time and wallop to check it out.

Ross brings up a way to try and filter those out, IE if the position of the aircraft never changes, its excluded from the results. although in that situation, im not sure if VATSIM directly saves position data. i know the feed includes position updates cause obviously all the online maps and third party stats pages show position data, but does the network itself archive position data, or does it dump it when you log off and only save your flightplan information with your time logged. im going to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume it doesnt simply because we dont have historical data accessible from the third party sites, they only record from the day they started recording data.

so something along those lines would probably have to be duplicated. a new database would have to be done to start logging that info, then coded to try and add various filters

in theory its doable anyway some days i wish i wouldve taken that programming course lol

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

The Iron Mic Award recognizes a team effort at a facility, it's not an individual award.

Kyle Ramsey

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Richard,

Maybe come down to Australia, at VATPAC we offer something similar to all.

http://vatpac.org/pilots/vatpax

Give it a go.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

I think winning hours wouldn't be in the spirit of what we're trying to do at vatsim (ie, no unattended connections).

But most traffic movements by airport arrivals and (separately) departures would be an interesting stat.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Richard McDonald Woods
Posted
Posted

@Sean

I may well do. Thanks.

Do I have to transfer to VATOCE in order to use VATPAX? How can I do that?

@Trent

I agree that arrival/departure numbers by airport would be a good start

Cheers, Richard

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

A lot of airport stats can already be found here: http://stats.vatsim-germany.org/

It however only includes the total sum of arrivals/departures for each airport, not the sum of arrivals and the sum of departures.

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

Richard McDonald Woods
Posted
Posted

Hi Thimo!

That looks very interesting.

Unlike the real world, of course, each takeoff doesn't necessarily follow from a landing

Cheers, Richard

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted
@Sean

I may well do. Thanks.

Do I have to transfer to VATOCE in order to use VATPAX? How can I do that?

@Trent

I agree that arrival/departure numbers by airport would be a good start

No you don't need to transfer, Transferring is an ATC thing.

All you need to do is fly to/from one of the valid airports with a flightplan that includes the test "PAXON" in the remarks section.

Valid airports mostly include Australia & New Zealand, but include a small selection of large international airports such as KLAX,KSFO,WSSS,VHHH,OMDB etc. But for the most part is designed for airports in Australia and the South Pacific Islands.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Maybe it should be extended to the world.....

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Steven Brown
Posted
Posted

Pilots automatically get [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to take p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers when they fly in Australia. It is an opt-out system so you only need to fly as normal and you will be able to take p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers

We developed this whole system to add realism to flying and makes flying a lot more fun. We have just improved the system to be more realistic as well depending on the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]enger numbers and what aircraft you're flying.

Let us know how you find it and if you have other ideas about it

Steven Brown

Director of Events & Communications, VATPAC - VATSIM Australia-Pacific

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted
Pilots automatically get [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to take p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers when they fly in Australia. It is an opt-out system so you only need to fly as normal and you will be able to take p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers

We developed this whole system to add realism to flying and makes flying a lot more fun. We have just improved the system to be more realistic as well depending on the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]enger numbers and what aircraft you're flying.

Let us know how you find it and if you have other ideas about it

/paxon needs to be spawned once in a flightplan remarks for it to turn on though.

Although it only needs to be set once, and will continue to track vatpax till that pilot sends a /paxoff on their flightplan remarks.

My understanding is that it is off by default, till 1 flightplan is sent with the text "paxon" in the remarks section (even if that flight is only online for 2 minutes) at which point it is on 'forever' till /paxoff is sent.

qfafin.png