You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

USA FSS in VATSIM?

Connor Yeatman 1371014

Connor Yeatman 1371014
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was wondering if VATSIM has FSS in the USA or at all. The reason I ask is in one of the ATIS is listened to has "additional information on FSS and Flight Watch frequency."

Edited by Guest
20.png

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Sort of:

6.4.4. Permitted FSS callsigns within VATUSA are:

6.4.4.1. ZAK_(INIT)_FSS

6.4.4.2. ZAN_(INIT)_FSS

6.4.4.3. ZHU_(INIT)_FSS

6.4.4.4. ZMA_(INIT)_FSS

6.4.4.5. NY_(INIT)_FSS

(Source: Division General Policy)

However, that's probably irrelevant to the referenced ATIS content (which isn't applicable to VATSIM and thus shouldn't be in the ATIS at all).

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

VATSIM has no FSS in the way you're probably thinking ... there is no frequency you could call to get a weather briefing or file a flight plan, open/close a VFR flight plan, get enroute weather advisories, etc. The controller that made the ATIS you heard was probably just copying what he heard in the real-world ATIS.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• 2 weeks later...
Christopher Coon 1097126
Posted
Posted

Right, what VATSIM calls FSS is actually oceanic control (not sure why they call it FSS). They don't simulate the functionality of real-world Flight Service (which provides pre-flight briefings, in-air advisories, etc).

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
what VATSIM calls FSS is actually oceanic control (not sure why they call it FSS)

My understanding is it's so that the Oceanic controllers are simulated with the appropriate text radio range by the network.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Bradford Lee
Posted
Posted
what VATSIM calls FSS is actually oceanic control (not sure why they call it FSS)

My understanding is it's so that the Oceanic controllers are simulated with the appropriate text radio range by the network.

That's exactly why. The network gives _FSS special range handling to enable the controller to do his job.

Brad Lee

spacer.png

ZJX ARTCC