You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Thank You EGFF

Daniel Finney 810884

Daniel Finney 810884
Posted
Posted

Just to say, huge thanks to Wycliffe (TWR) and Mike (APP) for enabling a most enjoyable 2 hour crew training session last nght at Cardiff EGFF - superb ATC chaps

All EGFF charts now laminated

Best Regards

D Finney (DDF01T)

• 2 weeks later...
Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Hi Daniel

Hope to see you back at EGFF soon.

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

• 3 weeks later...
Daniel Finney 810884
Posted
Posted

Ditto again for tonight Wyck, great VFR scenery, good worked procs and friendly ATC, the top hat was the weather tonight - chrres bud !

Regards

D Finney

David Cheetham 969319
Posted
Posted
Ditto again for tonight Wyck, great VFR scenery, good worked procs and friendly ATC, the top hat was the weather tonight - chrres bud !

Regards

D Finney

Could I ask for more info on the VFR Scenery? Is this something I can add as hope to fly in and around EGFF soon. Or have I misinterpreted the post

Daniel Finney 810884
Posted
Posted

Hia David,

It will cost you a few pennies though - but if you can manage, it is worth every one of them !

http://www.visualflight.co.uk/photoscenery/

Used with Gary Summons airport scenery from here http://www.uk2000scenery.com/main/index.htm (also payware), they work extremely well togather.

What you see out of the window is an extremely accurate rendition of what you would expect to see in the real world.

If you are dedicated and serious about VFR flight in the UK from the South coast to the Scottish borders, then these two sceneries together with the professionalism of the UK division ATC team, has got to be given some serious thought. And further to this, Sunday is VFR night in the UK with regular manning of London Information for you to enjoy when performing cross country work.

You dont have to have either of the sceneries for VFR work, but if you do decide to use them, you will appreciate the transformation.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

D Finney

David Cheetham 969319
Posted
Posted

Thanks Daniel,

Thought you meant there was special scenery that gave other visual flight points connected with Vatsim. I have all the Photographic scenery but stopped using it when Ground Environment and Ultimate Terrain Europe came out. Much better for faster flight and at low level looks much much more realistic, no blurrring, judders etc that you get with the photo scenery. No hit on frame rates either. Will go for the Airport sceneries though as I intended buying them for ages and nevr got round to it. As I fly out of Shoreham, I use the Flying Club scenery and have airports I fly to in France, but will put Wales on my destinations board

Hope to try and fit a flight in later today if I can.

Daniel Finney 810884
Posted
Posted

David,

All copied, sounds great

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming that you havent already added this,

If you go to http://www.flightsim.com and do a search for ukvrpv1.zip by Martin A McCormick.

This is a scenery add-on that will place 283 recognised VRPs for 49 UK Airfields.

Regards

D Finney

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted
And further to this, Sunday is VFR night in the UK with regular manning of London Information for you to enjoy when performing cross country work.

Hi Dan

The "proper" Vat-uk VFR night is "VFR Tuesday", I didn't know it was being done Sunday's too but Tuesday's are increasing in popularity since it became a regular thrash about the VRPs with London Info and an increasing list of little fields open. Tonight was excellent

Bill Casey

Daniel Finney 810884
Posted
Posted

Thanks for that Bill, obviously mistaken (Another senior moment)

Ran a quick cross-x last night as it happens GP-FF with London Info all the way - great service indeed

Looking for Wyck to end a perfect flight but it wasnt to be (Porbably on the wagon again )

Nice signature if I may say Bill. I remember doing a "bit" of pilot mentoring a few years back, sometimes eight hours a day seven days a week and missing meals, although I never received an official title as such (well not an official printable one anyway )

Best Regards

D Finney

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted
Thanks for that Bill, obviously mistaken (Another senior moment)

Ran a quick cross-x last night as it happens GP-FF with London Info all the way - great service indeed

Looking for Wyck to end a perfect flight but it wasnt to be (Porbably on the wagon again )

Nice signature if I may say Bill. I remember doing a "bit" of pilot mentoring a few years back, sometimes eight hours a day seven days a week and missing meals, although I never received an official title as such (well not an official printable one anyway )

We all get senior moments Dan, just asked Wycliffe about my Spitfire parts on his runway

Btw, note the "New" part of the signature - we help new pilots make their first steps on Vatsim, get them going in the right fashion. We've had some notable successes but sadly we can't catch all the new guys, I wish we could but we can only work with people who want to work with us.

Bill Casey

Daniel Finney 810884
Posted
Posted
We all get senior moments Dan, just asked Wycliffe about my Spitfire parts on his runway

Indeed - youll have the same T-Shirt as me then

Btw, note the "New" part of the signature - we help new pilots make their first steps on Vatsim, get them going in the right fashion. We've had some notable successes but sadly we can't catch all the new guys, I wish we could but we can only work with people who want to work with us.

Indeed Bill, safe to say that will be 99% of the new members. Great work mate

Regards

D Finney

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

Indeed Bill, safe to say that will be 99% of the new members. Great work mate

As regards UK I think it's probably quite a bit less than 99% to be honest - obviously it's difficult to measure but we do get plenty of requests for new pilot mentoring and we've yet to have a New Pilots Night with zero attendees so I suspect we're probably catching quite a few. The problem with measurement is that a very large number will connect once, go through hell, vanish, never come back. Another bunch will connect once, go through hell and ask for help. The problem bunch are those that keep connecting and who don't ask and don't care. From my 1000+ hours on Vatsim UK (NB I don't go to EGLL) there aren't actually that many of the latter group BUT they are the ones that you notice. As regards Vat-uk my feeling would be that we catch less than half of the ones that stay, but certainly not only 1%.

Bill Casey

Daniel Finney 810884
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info Bill

Regards

D Finney