You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Cannot connect VPilot to FSX in host or remote mode

Martin Tochacek 958828

Martin Tochacek 958828
Posted
Posted

Hi there - I have been trying for hours to connect VPilot to FSX in both host and remote mode. When I try to connect via host mode I get the error that "no supported flight simulators were detected" even though I have FSX installed. I even installed and ran the three SimConnect files from the SDK folder. When I try to connect via remote mode it asks me for host address which I enter as my computer's IP address then it just keeps trying and failing. I really don't know what to do at this point to get VPilot to connect. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Just to double check... are you trying to run a networked setup where vPilot is on one computer and your flight simulator is on another?

If not, you shouldn't be running either of those modes and should instead launch vPilot using the "normal" shortcut that doesn't mention either mode.

Martin Tochacek 958828
Posted
Posted

No. Trying to run on same computer. When I launch Vpilot using the normal shortcut as you suggested I still get the error message that "no supported flight simulators were detected". I have tried to install and reinstall and still get this error.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

You mentioned you had FSX; is it the Steam version? If not, do you have the Acceleration version or have you installed Service Pack 2?

Either way... might have to wait for Ross to chime in then, as I'm not entirely sure what criteria vPilot uses to determine which (if any) flight simulator you have installed.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

vPilot looks for the registry key that indicates where you have the sim installed, and then it verifies that that folder exists, and it verifies that your sim's configuration file exists.

By any chance did you install the sim and then manually move the files to a different location?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Martin Tochacek 958828
Posted
Posted
vPilot looks for the registry key that indicates where you have the sim installed, and then it verifies that that folder exists, and it verifies that your sim's configuration file exists.

By any chance did you install the sim and then manually move the files to a different location?

Thanks for responding Ross. When you say registry key do you mean fsx.cfg? This is installed here on my computer: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

As far as the application I have files named fsx.exe and fsxseconfig.exe installed here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dovetail Games - Flight\Microsoft Flight Simulator X Steam Edition

i had installed the three simconnect ini. files also which reside in this folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Dovetail Games - Flight\Microsoft Flight Simulator X Steam Edition\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces

Does this give you enough to go on? Thanks again!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
When you say registry key do you mean fsx.cfg? This is installed here on my computer: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

No, registry keys and folders are two different things. The registry is a database where Windows stores lots of different information on your system. When FSX is installed, it writes its installation location into the registry, and that's where vPilot looks to see where it is installed, so that it can scan the installed models for model matching.

That's why I asked if you installed FSX and then manually moved it to a new location. If you do that, the registry entry will no longer point to the actual location of the files, and vPilot won't be able to do its scan.

Martin Tochacek 958828
Posted
Posted
When you say registry key do you mean fsx.cfg? This is installed here on my computer: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

No, registry keys and folders are two different things. The registry is a database where Windows stores lots of different information on your system. When FSX is installed, it writes its installation location into the registry, and that's where vPilot looks to see where it is installed, so that it can scan the installed models for model matching.

That's why I asked if you installed FSX and then manually moved it to a new location. If you do that, the registry entry will no longer point to the actual location of the files, and vPilot won't be able to do its scan.

No I did not move it after installation. Is there typically a registry key where FSX-SE usually is supposed to go? I can try and look in that folder. HKY_LOCAL_MACHINE? Sorry I am not good at these technical things. Just really want to get flying again on VATSIM now that I have FSX along with FS9.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Is there typically a registry key where FSX-SE usually is supposed to go?

Yes, vPilot checks for the existence of a specific registry key for each supported sim. For FSX-SE, the path is:

SOFTWARE\DovetailGames\FSX

It checks for this path under both the HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE root keys. (It doesn't need to exist in both ... it will use the first one it finds.)

Within that path, it looks for a key with one of these names:

install_path

AppPath

SetupPath

It uses the first one it finds. (Normally there will only be one of those.)

Martin Tochacek 958828
Posted
Posted
Is there typically a registry key where FSX-SE usually is supposed to go?

Yes, vPilot checks for the existence of a specific registry key for each supported sim. For FSX-SE, the path is:

SOFTWARE\DovetailGames\FSX

It checks for this path under both the HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE root keys. (It doesn't need to exist in both ... it will use the first one it finds.)

Within that path, it looks for a key with one of these names:

install_path

AppPath

SetupPath

It uses the first one it finds. (Normally there will only be one of those.)

Thanks. I checked registry and cannot find it under neither HKRY_CURRENT_USER nor HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. When I search for Dovetail in the registry I can only find the Uninstall registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\Uninstall

Does this mean it didn't create a registry upon installation? Is there a workaround to create a registry?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Did you try searching for FSX instead of Dovetail?

You could try creating the key manually. The value should be the full path to the folder where fsx.exe resides.

Martin Tochacek 958828
Posted
Posted

OK. So I have created a new key using regedit in the following folder: HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\Software\Wow6432Node\Micorsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0.

The registry value name is SetupPath as you indicated this is one of values vPilot searches for. This is pointing to the folder where the fsx.exe resides: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dovetail Games-Flight\Microsoft Flight Simulator X Steam edition\

Re-started computer and started FSX at an airport and still get the same message from vPilot that it cannot detect a copy of FSX. Also tried SB4 for FSX and also not recognizing. Not sure what else to do.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
OK. So I have created a new key using regedit in the following folder: HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\Software\Wow6432Node\Micorsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0.

Why did you create it there?

Martin Tochacek 958828
Posted
Posted

I thought this was the best spot for it since my FS9 registry values are in that same area only in the folder FlightSimulator\9.0.

Should I create this elsewhere for FSX-SE?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I mentioned above the spot where vPilot expects to find the key.