You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Virtual ATC History - urgent request.

Baruch Spiegel 912844

Baruch Spiegel 912844
Posted
Posted

Hello all vatsim users!

I was asked to make a lecture (TED style) about our great hobby in my workplace in front of about 500 personals. Scientists & Engineers.

I am looking for pictures screenshots and or any other knowledge that may be interesting about the beggining of virtual ATC net. Esspecialy about the very first versions of squawkbox, procontroller and the FSD server.

Also if anyone has a screenshot of the first multyplayer screen in microsoft flight simulator 5...

Please answer here or send me e-mail to:

baruchi100 at gmail.com

Thank you all folks

Baruch.

Affraid from landings? do what I do, close your eyes!

Bradford Lee
Posted
Posted

Hey Baruch! Here's some old info I found through some forum searching and checking of archive.org

Q # V-2) Why don't VATSIM and IVAO merge ? Wouldn't it be better for both networks ?

A) I re-post this reply from VATSIM founding member Harv Stein:

"As most of you know, I never read newsgroups or Forums, unless asked to by members on a specific topic. Such is the case with this response. Maybe we can point to it next time this topic comes up.

When Satco was formed, it was the only online organization of its kind in the world. A gentleman named Morten Hansen was the European director for Satco Europe. I will not get into any details but Morten and Randy Whistler, the Executive Director of Satco had some differences in ideas for Satco and Satco Europe. Morten and Randy decided to part company and Morten formed IVAO. In 2001* the organization known as Satco was closed and VATSIM took over all the responsibilities and membership of Satco in a virtual seamless manner. Today the 2 main organizations worldwide are VATSIM and IVAO.

Of course I am partial to VATSIM. I had a part in forming VATSIM, but, I also have had dealings with Morten and his organization. I personally have always found Morten to be a gentlemen and dedicated to his organization and to our hobby.

Our organizations have differences and different philosophies, but the goal in both is to Learn, Enjoy and Have Fun. The one question I get asked all the time is, why don't the 2 organizations merge into one. Well, over the years, the differences we have and the distance between them has grown to the point where a merger just is not in the cards. Besides operational and logistical problems, there is always the issue of Politics. No matter how we try, politics will always be a part of everything we do. Neither of us is better than the other. We are just different in most things we do. This difference gives the flightsim world choices. To have quality choices in life is something to be thankful for. I am so glad that our community has choices in VATSIM or IVAO. Both are quality organizations with top notch people running them. Lets all be thankful that both exist.

Blue Skies Always.

Harv.

* corrected from the original post

http://web.archive.org/web/20070421000957/http://users.adelphia.net/~jbartosh02/vat_faq.htm#V-2 (Scroll around, other good ancient info there too!)

Another source I would suggest is the first few BoG Meeting Minutes from 2001: https://www.vatsim.net/meeting-minutes/bog

Hope it helps!!

Brad Lee

spacer.png

ZJX ARTCC

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

Hi Baruch,

I have some slides and notes from our BAVirtual P1 course that I can send to you a little later today if that's useful.

Best,

Simon

Vice President, Pilot Training

• Board of Governors
Tim Barber
Posted
Posted

An e-mail to Kyle Ramsay, VATGOV1, may get you the information you are looking for. Send an e-mail to [email protected]

Tim Barber

VATSIM President

Baruch Spiegel 912844
Posted
Posted

Thank you all guys for your kindly help!!

Baruch

Baruch Spiegel 912844
Posted
Posted
An e-mail to Kyle Ramsay, VATGOV1, may get you the information you are looking for. Send an e-mail to [email protected]

Will do, Thanks for the advise.

Baruch.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Hello all vatsim users!

I was asked to make a lecture (TED style) about our great hobby in my workplace in front of about 500 personals. Scientists & Engineers.

I am looking for pictures screenshots and or any other knowledge that may be interesting about the beggining of virtual ATC net. Esspecialy about the very first versions of squawkbox, procontroller and the FSD server.

Also if anyone has a screenshot of the first multyplayer screen in microsoft flight simulator 5...

baruchi100 at gmail.com

Thank you all folks

Baruch.

You also may want to get hold of Mike Evans, especially from a client perspective, along with Ross Carlson.

While I'm not sure on the actual ProController developers, the progression from SATCO to where we are now, went from:

ProController + Roger Wilco (for voice)

ASRC

Euroscope

VRC

vSTARS / vERAM

Pilot side, we pretty much went from

Squawkbox + FSUIPC

FSInn

Squawkbox 3

vPilot

I'm sure other will chime in with a few that I might be missing, but that should have been the progression, from FS98 all the way up to now (I started out in early/mid 2000 wanting to be ATC only, but got into flying right at the time FS2000 came out).

and who knows? for a couple of cases of Pepsi, Harv may even sit down with you for an interview!

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

dont forget the microsoft Zone and CH Client

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Ugh.. forgot about those, and am glad to say before my time! From what I heard, you were better off with FS5 and BAO Tower!

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

As someone who started simming in 1998, I would say I discovered Satco before Microsoft Zone ever existed, and I am glad to have forgotten about Microsoft Zone's existence.

Squawkbox v2, with roger wilco and later AVC.

I don't believe FSUIPC was ever required by Satco or Vatsim? I remember in FS2000/2002 we had to have "Squawkbox Host" which would basically be a resizable 'always on top' window which would let squawkbox run without crashing FS2000/2 till Squawkbox 3 came out.

That said I've always run FSUIPC because of all the useful things it did (Wind smoothing, aircraft battery life extension, QNH smoothing, control spike elimination etc)

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted
Hello all vatsim users!

baruchi100 at gmail.com

Thank you all folks

Baruch.

You also may want to get hold of Mike Evans, especially from a client perspective, along with Ross Carlson.

While I'm not sure on the actual ProController developers, the progression from SATCO to where we are now, went from:

ProController + Roger Wilco (for voice)

ASRC

VRC

Euroscope

vSTARS / vERAM

Pilot side, we pretty much went from

Squawkbox + FSUIPC

FSInn

Squawkbox 3

vPilot

I'm sure other will chime in with a few that I might be missing, but that should have been the progression, from FS98 all the way up to now (I started out in early/mid 2000 wanting to be ATC only, but got into flying right at the time FS2000 came out).

and who knows? for a couple of cases of Pepsi, Harv may even sit down with you for an interview!

BL.

VRC came out before Euroscope

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"